Chapter 2: The High Society Circus

I leaned against the balcony railing, taking in the sprawling gardens that looked like they belonged in a fairy tale. Flowerbeds danced in the gentle breeze, and fountains sparkled in the sunlight. This was a far cry from my cramped apartment and the bus stop I had just left behind.

But then reality hit me like a wayward pigeon—I was stuck in the world of Elowen Virelle, the jilted bride. Just as I was about to spiral into a panic, I heard footsteps behind me.

"Lady Elowen, you're awake!" The same middle-aged woman from the church rushed in, fanning herself dramatically. "You had us all worried! How are you feeling?"

"Um, not sure how to answer that," I said, rubbing my temples. "I feel like I just fainted at my own wedding... oh wait, I did."

"Quite right! The shock must have been overwhelming." She nodded vigorously, as if I were making a solid point. "But we mustn't dwell on it! We have to discuss your future plans!"

"Future plans?" I echoed, struggling to keep my composure. "You mean my plans to not be a bride anymore?"

She clutched her chest, as if I'd just insulted a royal decree. "But dear, you're a Virelle! You simply can't remain an abandoned bride. It would be scandalous!"

I raised an eyebrow. "Scandalous? You mean like how my best friend ran away with my fiancé? Because that's already pretty scandalous, if you ask me."

Her expression softened. "Oh, my sweet Lady Elowen, I know this is a shock. But the world of high society is cruel. You must rise above it! You have a reputation to uphold!"

At that moment, a small part of me wondered what that reputation had ever done for Elowen. But I took a deep breath, channeling my inner noblewoman. "Fine. What are my options?"

The woman clapped her hands together, her excitement palpable. "First, we must announce your official status as a single lady! Then, we'll have you attend the upcoming ball. It's an excellent opportunity to meet eligible bachelors!"

"Right, because nothing says 'healing from betrayal' like being paraded around like livestock for the highest bidder," I muttered.

"You have a point," she replied, nodding sagely. "But a fresh start is just what you need! Who knows? You might find someone who is more worthy of your heart."

I gave her a skeptical look. "You mean someone who isn't my best friend's fiancé? That sounds like a low bar."

"Exactly! You're far too lovely and charming to be wasted on someone so ungrateful," she said, brushing imaginary lint from my gown.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, and a tall man with tousled hair and an air of mischief stepped in. "Ah, the sleeping beauty awakens!" He grinned, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "I'm Lucian, your father's advisor. And you, my lady, have quite the predicament on your hands."

"Nice to meet you, Lucian. I'm *not* a sleeping beauty, and my predicament is that I'm not sure how to return to my actual life," I said, crossing my arms.