Scales Of Steel

A distant roar echoed through the air, its proximity impossible to gauge. Shoku's heart pounded in her chest, her blood chilled with shock. Disoriented, she struggled to comprehend her surroundings. The dim lighting seemed to close in around her, and her vision began to blur, darkness creeping in from the edges. Her legs faltered, threatening to give way beneath her

Shoku's collapse was halted by a pair of claws, their owner's identity and intentions obscured by her hazy thoughts. The claws guided her to sit, cradling her head as a canteen touched her lips. "Drink," a gentle voice urged. Water soothed her parched throat as she gulped obediently. "Breathe," the woman's voice commanded softly. Shoku inhaled, shaky and unsteady, exhaling with deliberate slowness. Yet, fury simmered beneath her fragile calm, its chill coursing through her veins like ice. This anger was foreign, a numb, hollow ache that stifled tears and left her heart numb.

Before her stood a masked woman, her face obscured by a sleek white visage with crimson patterns that evoked the intricate webs of a spider. The mask glinted in the faint light, its smooth surface a stark contrast to the rugged, turtle-shell armor that encased her form. A hood cast a shadow over her features, but Shoku's gaze was drawn to the narrow, red-rimmed eyes and jagged lips. The woman's appearance seemed to whisper one name: Big Mama. "You know how to fight?" the woman asked, her voice low and husky. Shoku nodded, a simple affirmation.

“You're in the Battle Nexus.” The woman stated calmly, but Shoku's breathing caught in her throat. Her chest heaved with renewed panic. The woman's hand clamped on her shoulder, steadying her. “Hey, hey, slow down. It's okay.” Her voice softened, infused with urgency. “Look at me.” Shoku met her obscured gaze. “Every opponent has a weakness. No matter how big or small.” The woman's words were firm, reassuring. Shoku still struggled to calm her ragged breathing, anxiety still simmering.

The woman's gaze was intense, her expression grave despite the mask concealing her features. "Can you stand?" she asked, her voice steady and commanding. Shoku sensed a familiarity in the woman's demeanor, as if this sternness was her norm.

Shoku steadied herself, the water's revitalizing effects evident. "Grab a weapon," the woman instructed, her claw pointing to the nearby wall. As Shoku's eyes adjusted, the array of deadly tools came into focus. She approached the far wall, lined with menacing instruments: deathly maces, slender tanto blades, and more. Her gaze bypassed the familiar tanto, settling on the naginata – a majestic red spear adorned with silver and gold accents. She grasped its length, feeling its balance. A coarse chain followed, wrapped around her waist like a promise of chaos. Lastly, she filled her pockets with shurikens, their weight a reassuring backup.

“You know how to use those?” the woman asked, her tone confirmatory, not skeptical. Shoku nodded, her confidence rooted in familiarity with the naginata. Though tantos were her specialty, she doubted their effectiveness in this battle.

Seeking calm, Shoku took slow, deep breaths. “What's your name?” she asked, curiosity getting the better of her. Cautious from past experiences, particularly Big Mama, Shoku rebuilt her walls.

Before she received an answer, a chiming sound echoed, and the woman's talons gently urged her toward the stone stairs. As they ascended, the door slid open, revealing a new arena.

"Frida," the woman replied, her name barely audible over the din of the Battle Nexus.

Shoku was propelled up the stairs, the stone door sealing behind her with a deafening thud. No turning back now. She ascended the icy steps, her grip on the naginata unwavering. The roaring grew louder, its vibrations coursing through her very bones. As she emerged onto the sand-covered arena, blinding rays of light enveloped her. Squinting, Shoku stood tall, scanning her surroundings. The arena was empty, save for the eerie silence that preceded the battle. No other yokai in sight. Yet.