Chapter Five: Girl's Night

Gwen, Haley, Leah, Abigail, Flor, and Faye were gathered in her cozy living room, settled on either the couch or one of the bean bags laid out on the rug. The warm glow of the lamps and soft music from the mini-juke box created the perfect backdrop for their evening. A mix of lo-fi beats and pop rock had a couple of the tipsy girls swaying to the rhythm as they chatted and laughed, enjoying their drinks. Tonight was all about unwinding, gossiping, and sharing their creations. Each of them had brought their own ingredients to craft a special cocktail for the group to enjoy.

Next up was Leah's Enchanted Mojito—a mix of white rum, tonic water, limequat juice fresh from the Nightingale Orchard, and simple lavender syrup

Next up was Leah's Enchanted Mojito—a mix of white rum, tonic water, limequat juice fresh from the Nightingale Orchard, and simple lavender syrup. It was garnished with sprigs of mint and lavender, making the drink as pretty as it was refreshing. The lavender syrup added a delicate floral sweetness that perfectly balanced the tangy citrus and the fizz from the soda water. Gwen took a sip and let the cool burn of the white rum settle, appreciating the thought Leah had put into the concoction.

 Gwen took a sip and let the cool burn of the white rum settle, appreciating the thought Leah had put into the concoction

"I tried something new," Leah said with a slightly flushed face, taking a sip of her own drink. "Normally I'd add blueberry syrup for sweetness, but my lavender came into bloom, so I had to use it. What do you think?"

Faye, already a little giggly, was the first to respond. "Usually, lavender just tastes like soap to me, but this... this is amazing!" She lifted her glass in a playful toast, clearly impressed.

Gwen smiled as she savored the drink, nodding in agreement. "It's definitely a win, Leah. The lavender doesn't overpower the other flavors. Plus, it's really pretty."

As the group sipped and continued complimenting Leah's cocktail, Haley steered the conversation in another direction, excited to talk to her friends. "So, are you all excited for the Desert festival this year?" Haley asked. "Mayor Lewis asked me to be a vendor this year and I'm not sure what I want to sell yet so I was going to see if you all had any ideas."

"Girl, you wouldn't be calling him 'Mayor' if you knew how he was with Marnie," Leah said, raising her eyebrow and smirking. "He is by no means a respectable man."

"What do you mean?" Flor asked, her interest piqued.

Gwen stirred her drink, grinning to herself. She knew exactly where Leah was going with this. She'd seen the pair sneaking around once while coming back from Ginger Island late at night. It was after midnight and she'd seen them tangled up in a bush by the beach. Not exactly a pleasant sight.