Chapter-5.

Muthu.

This girl is gonna be the death of me, I swear. H-How could she do things and just run away like that. What am I thinking, Muthu come to your consciousness. I reprimanded myself.

"Muthu, come have your breakfast." My mother called me and I went down to have my breakfast. It is getting late, I have to go to the field today early as I have to give the salary to the workers and deliver the rice stock to the industry that separated grains from rice.

As I ate my lunch, I saw her wearing the saree I gave, she was looking beautiful. I don't know how she nails every dress with simple elegance, she did not wear any jewellery except the simple studs on her ear and some bangles. She looked ethereal.

"Parra, you look really good, my chellam

"Parra, you look really good, my chellam. how did you get the saree?" My mother said and she smiled shyly. She didn't even look at me, this girl how brave she was in my room when we are alone now acting all shy infront of my parents. I scoffed at her and the sound came more than I thought. ( Parra-look at you, chellam- my darling.)

"She got it from me, Amma. I was having this dress for you and thought it will be okay for her as she didn't have any dress." I said non-chalantly.

Mother accepted it and Imayal had a knowing smirk on her face. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Amma, I will be leaving for work." I said as my father was in his room getting ready for the day, I left saying bye to my mom not looking at Imayal who was looking at me like she achieved something.

Today the day was hectic, I delivered the rice stock to the industry as the first job and we had an argument on the prices as the new manager didn't want us to give the amount we asked for,the previous one knows our quality of rice is the best and went don't cheat by adding stones to our rice. As he was new he didn't know but the owner supported us and he had to come to our terms.

These people don't argues with people in power only to farmers they argue about the prices. I sighed and went back to field to get ready to give salaries to our workers.

As I was giving I saw Imayal coming towards me, she stood at a respectful distance and had a huge tiffin carrier, I widened my eyes at it.

People who have been working here for a long time went and spoke to her as she came from abroad they asked about her well being she smiled and politely answered every question to them. The young men who work for me were eyeing her and talking to themselves and laughing.

I slammed my table which I let for writing the salary for each person. The looked startled and looked away from her once they saw my reactions.

Imayal was busy talking to the elders as they said something which I wouldn't hear, her cheeks flushed at that. After my work somewhere sitting under the coconut tree and talking and having their lunch as it was lunch break.

"Athan, get up have your lunch it is enough for today." She said and closed my accounts book and pulled me towards the coconut tree of the backyard of the Motor room were a small cot and a mattress was there.

She slowly put on the mattress and opened the boxes.

"I made everything myself, taste and say how it was." She said and plated my food in a banana leaf.

"Did you cook for five people why is there so much?" I said and she glared at me.

"If you don't want, tell me I will give it to those young men who are working for you." She said getting up. I pulled her down and she slid beside me.

"Don't, go there Imayal. I was just teasing." I said controlling my anger. She smiled and started plating food for her and we sat and ate our lunch. It was delicious. I didn't expect this tatsy food from her. I know for a fact she didn't know cooking when she was young but now she knows how to cook that too it was tasty shocked me.

"When did you learnt to cook?" I asked and she looked up at me.

"I was in the hostel and there you won't get any Indian food at all so I will get the ingredients from the Indian store and cooked it myself." She said and I nodded. We were having our lunch peacefully. I liked this serene atmosphere with her.

"Athan, I don't want to go home." She said all of a sudden. I looked at her and she looked at me in my eyes and said.

"I know for a fact if I go my dad would force me to get married to the man he has asked for the proposal and I don't wanna marry him." She said before I can say anything she continued.

"I don't want a man of my status Athan. Even if you want to see the status then see how he is by heart to everyone. I don't want a person who is a money hungry person and doesnt respect elders. I don't want any of them. I want to love the person who I marry not just anyone. If you say he is a doctor then I don't need a doctor too, I need a husband not a person to be my companion just because he is a doctor too. I want you. I only want you to be my husband." She said in her stern voice and I gulped looking at her eyes that hold determination.

I held her cheeks and kept my forehead on hers. She flinched at the contact as it was the first time I initiated something.

"You are gonna be the death of me Ammu." I said and she just chuckled.