Chapter twenty

The next day, I went back to my house. To my relief, Drew never changed the key, so I entered our house. Everything was as it was when I left two years ago. It looked like no one lived in the house.

Our pictures were still on the walls, and I tried to not choke up. Even one of my sweatshirt that I liked to leave on the couch was still there.

I sighed at that. I took ahold of the sweatshirt, about to go stuff it in the laundry until I noticed that it had Drew's cologne. Of course he was wearing it.

I went to the kitchen to check if he was at least eating well. He never liked to cook, and he liked to eat only small portions.

I opened the cupboards, and to my obvious disappointment, they were empty and squeaky clean. Even the fridge. There was not even a bottle of water. Why was Drew like that? Why couldn't he take care of himself?

I threw the fridge door closed and went up the stairs to our bedroom. The air in the bedroom was stale like no one slept in there. Of course he was sleeping on the couch or maybe the guest bedroom?

I sat down on the bed, already exhausted. My mind was running around, trying to berate Drew for living like a homeless person when he had a house, endless money and all the resources he could need to live comfortably.

I stood up, then started to search the drawers, trying to find anything that could set my mind at ease with the vampire thing.

I found three photo albums. One was our time in the university, the other our wedding album and another one for our childhood memories. I smiled, grabbing the three albums and laid face down on the bed, looking through the albums. I took out some of the wedding pictures for myself. I had the soft copies, but I also wanted the physical copies.

After we had signed at the court, we took a trip to celebrate our marriage. So most of the pictures were at the resort we spent our time at.

Gosh, I looked so young.

I chuckled when I saw the happiness in my eyes. I thought getting married to Drew was the best thing ever. I know he loved me, but sometimes love was not enough.

I closed the album, then opened another one. I flipped through the pictures, snapping some where Drew was young to show Finley. I even took out one of the photographs and put it in my pocket.

I don't know what happened, but I found myself awakening from the noise downstairs. I realized I fell asleep. When I checked the time, it was six in the night, and I cursed myself when I heard that Drew was back.

I took back the albums, then made the bed. There was a bit of moving around downstairs, so I prayed that Drew was in the kitchen and he would not hear me when I sneaked out.

I got out of the room, then tiptoed to the stairs. There was no one downstairs, so I rushed down carefully. I was about to pass the kitchen, but stopped in my tracks, my jaw falling open.

I could hear my heart shatter. I could hear my world shatter. Hell, I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't know if I should pick up the pieces of my heart, or scream at Drew for letting me witness such despicable acts in our home.

I retreated back, holding onto my sanity, trying to blend into the surroundings. I tripped on thin air, making a chocked noise that attracted attention my way.

I could read the confusion on Drew's face, then it morphed into horror and before I knew it, he rushed to me.

I stood up, still shocked and hurt. "Don't touch me."

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his hand outstretched as if he wanted to reach out to me.

"So I'm not allowed to come to our house? I must announce it first?" I snapped, my eyes glaring at the man who was still standing in the kitchen, not knowing what to do.

"My love, please let me explain. This is not what it looks like," he said, making me focus my glare on him.

Why was I even angry? We were going to divorce and here I was acting like I was not seeing other people. I knew he also had some people on the side, but still. Maybe it's because I've never seen him with his people. I've only heard about them. Then why was my heart still breaking? Why was my chest so heavy?

"Lin, go home," he addressed the man. I didn't want to look at Lin. I wanted to calm down and stop feeling this hurt. I wanted the hurt to stop.

The door banged close after Lin left.

"My love, let's go sit down and-"

"I said don't touch me," I snapped, more angry at myself for my reaction.

I wiped the tears that were falling, so angry at myself for my reaction. I was so hurt beyond words. Why was I even angry?

"Let's go sit down, my love. Please," he begged, his voice irritating me. I hated myself so much at this moment.

"I'm leaving," I said, sniffling. I've never hated myself so much at this moment.

I managed to call a cab, my vision a bit blurry. I regretted coming back. Not only did I not do anything when I came to the house, I also witnessed Drew bring his person to our house.

"Please don't go. Let's talk this out. What you saw was just a-"

"It's fine, Drew. It's alright."

"No, it's not. I'm sorry you had to see that. I know I'm-"

"I said it's fine, Drew. Get out of my way," I snapped, irritated by him standing on my way when I wanted to leave.

"You're not leaving until we talk this through like adults, my love. So let's go sit down and talk. And you can also tell me what you're doing here."

"I'm not staying in this house. So get out of my way," I spat, pushing at him to get out of my way. He sighed, shifting to the side.

"At least let me drive you to your place. It's not safe outside," he said, following me out of the house.

I wanted to retort and say I'm not safe with him, but I held my tongue. If he was a vampire, I didn't want to make him angry. I already felt unsafe with him now and I didn't want to make him angry.

Drew stopped following me. I didn't want to look back to see why. My cab had arrived. Before I got in, I looked back at Drew. The light on the porch was enough to let me see his stumped look. I got in the cab.