4. plain sight

4. plain sight

 plain sight

-

Jasmin's eyes widen, her coffee cup frozen halfway to her lips. "Wait—what?" she blurts out, staring at Morgan in disbelief across the small café table.

Morgan leans back in his chair, crossing his arms, and grins at her reaction. "Yeah, you heard me," he says, his voice casual but laced with amusement. "I own four properties."

She shakes her head, setting her cup down. "Four? Like...houses? Why do you need that many?"

Morgan shrugs, still smiling. "Well, I like to smash things after a rough case," he admits, his tone playful but with a hint of seriousness. "Punching bags, walls—sometimes you just need to break something, you know? And I figured it's better to do that in places I can fix up myself rather than trash a rental or my own apartment."

Jasmin stares at him for a moment before bursting into laughter. "So, let me get this straight," she says between giggles. "You bought multiple properties just so you can wreck them when you're stressed?"

Morgan grins wider, nodding. "Yeah, pretty much. I like to fix them up afterward, too. It's kind of therapeutic—tear something down, then build it back better. Helps me clear my head."

She leans forward, resting her elbows on the table, still chuckling. "That's... honestly, that's wild. I never would've guessed."

Morgan smirks, taking a sip of his coffee. "Yeah, well, there's a lot you don't know about me, Princess."

At the mention of the nickname, Jasmin rolls her eyes but smiles. "You just love calling me that, don't you?"

"I do," Morgan says with a teasing glint in his eyes. "It suits you."

She shakes her head, trying to hide her smile. "Okay, back to these properties," she says, steering the conversation away from his teasing. "So, what do you do when they're all fixed up? Just wait for the next bad case and start wrecking them again?"

Morgan chuckles. "Nah, I rent them out when I'm done. Keeps me busy in between cases. Plus, it's good money."

Jasmin gives him an impressed look. "Wow, that's... actually kind of brilliant."

He raises an eyebrow. "Why do you sound so surprised?"

"Well," she begins with a smirk, "you don't exactly strike me as the real estate type. More like... I don't know, a gym junkie who's always bench pressing to blow off steam."

Morgan laughs at that. "I do hit the gym a lot, too. But sometimes, lifting weights just isn't enough, you know? Smashing a wall or two? That really does the trick."

They fall into a comfortable silence for a moment, both of them sipping their coffees, lost in their own thoughts. The café is quiet, only the soft hum of conversation and the clinking of cups in the background.