It's A Twin Thing

"Cause in the end, all you really have is memories..." - Unknown

************************************************************

I stared out the window, from the sixth floor of the New York City hospital, as rainclouds loomed dangerously overhead. I glared at them as they threatened to ruin my afternoon. All the while pulling out a loose thread on my sleeve, wrapping it around my finger, pulling it out a little more, wrapping it around again. I glanced down at my finger as if they moved of their own accord. I un-wrapped the loose thread and freed my hand, quickly shoving it in the pocket of my sweatshirt. I shivered and shifted around in my seat.

            I looked across the room; my mother was staring nervously at the monitor. I can’t really sympathize with her. I suddenly found my shoes very interesting, these are really muddy, maybe I- “Where’s your friend?” My mother said, interrupting my train of thought.

            “I don’t know.” I replied. “He said he’d be back by now...” I trailed off, glancing out the window and chewing the hell out of my lip.

            “Well, I hope he’s not much longer, we should leave soon.” I nodded, standing up to study the streets below. I drummed my fingers against the window ledge. I hope he’s back soon, I just have this....feeling something bad’s going to happen. I can feel it.

            I fished my cell phone out from the pocket of my skinny jeans and dialled his number. It rang five times before going to voice mail. Where was he? He was only stepping outside to take a call. Talking on the phone did not take an hour and a half. Not when he knew he had to be back anyway.... “Honey.” I jumped as my mom placed a hand on my shoulder. “We need to go.” My heart was still jumping.

            “Wait.” I said. “We need to wait. He’s not back yet. Why is he not back?” I blurted out.

            “Well...did you call him?” She asked me.

            “Yes.” I said. “I went to voicemail...” My eyes darted to the window scanning my surroundings. “I’ll go check downstairs...” She nodded as I darted out the room. Something is definitely wrong. I can feel it. Something was beeping loudly as I walked past the nurses’ station. My shoes squeaked on the linoleum as I tried to walk as quickly as possible. I passed paitents lying in their beds, relatives and friends by their sides, I pushed my way through all the visitors, muffled dry of “Hey!” and “Watch out!” where left behind me. As I turned the corner two nurses ran past, pushing an empty bed. I tried to listen in to what they were saying as I ran along beside them. “-He was found lying on the street...in critical condition....we’ll be lucky-” I could only catch snippets of what they were saying. But I knew. I knew it was him.

            I ran. It was like in the movies where you’re running but you’re feet don’t move fast enough. It was like I was trying to run through glue. My heartbeat pounded erratically as I gasped for breath. I skidded to a halt in front of the elevator. I pounded the down button about fifty times. “Pressing that button more won’t make it come faster, girlie.” The old man shook his head as he walked past. I rolled my eyes and pressed it some more, as the floor number ticked downward ever so slowly. The door finally opened and I shoved a young couple out my way as I dived in. “Come on, come on, come on...” I chanted as I moved down slowly.

            I ran out into chaos. Time skidded to a halt as I watched a young boy being pushed in through the reception by a team of paramedics. An oxygen mask covered his face. He was pale, unmoving. It was him. I gasped as breath was stolen from my lungs. I ran to him. “No!” I cried out to him, the doctors ignored me as the pushed his bed into an empty room.

            He was hooked up to several machines. An IV was shoved into his arm and doctors ran around nervously. I listened to the heart rate monitor and it beeped frantically. I stood frozen in the doorway. Tears ran down my face, I couldn’t do anything, I couldn’t save him. I listened to that beep; that small sign of hope as if my life depended on it. And it did.

            Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

            I ran over to his bedside and found his hand, interlacing it with mine. I rested my forehead against his. “Wake up. Please. We need to have our picnic this afternoon, you promised me. You promised, and you never break your promises. And what about us being together forever, you promised me that too.” I softly pleaded with him, with fate. “Please, wake up.”

            Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

            I leaned away. His eyelids fluttered slightly. I squeezed his hand with mine. “Come on. Wake up, wake up....” My breath hitched in my throat.

            Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

            “Hey.....” He said, so softly I could barely hear him. “Why are you crying?” I laughed.

            “Because you’re sick that’s why...”

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

            “I’m not sick...” He sighed. “I’m...fine...” His eyes slid closed, he gasped.

            “No, no, no, no, no, no...” I shook him slightly. “Stay with me.”

            “Don’t cry...” His voice was so quiet.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

No.

No.

“Don’t go....” I sobbed loudly. It was only me and him as people rushed around us. “Don’t leave me...” I threw my arms around him, with my head on him chest. I felt so helpless. I don’t know how long I lay there before I felt a gentle hand on my arm. I looked up to see my mom standing over me, pity in her eyes, looking down at me. “He’s gone...” I whispered. She nodded.

*****************************************************************

That was the worst day of my life. The day I lost him, my best friend.

His name was Noah Karson. He was just fifteen years old when he died.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey welcome to my new story. I hope you all enjoy it. Hopefully I should update this one more often :) Ayway, tell me what you think, vote, comment, fan.... the usuall, and I'll upload the first chapter :D

Thank you for reading :)

xxxxxxxxxxx