Chapter 46

The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows across the grassy clearing just outside Konoha's gates. A small group had gathered, their expressions a mix of concern and support as they prepared to send off Ugetsu, who stood with his small pack slung over his shoulder. The atmosphere was heavy, the impending departure weighing on everyone's hearts.

Shikamaru leaned against a nearby tree, his brow furrowed as he watched the others. "This is so troublesome," he muttered, glancing at Ino, who was fussing over Ugetsu with her usual flair. Choji stood beside him, munching on chips, looking between his friends with mild curiosity.

"Ugetsu's just going to train, right?" Choji said, swallowing a mouthful. "Why does it feel like we're sending him off to war?"

"Because it kind of feels like that," Ino replied, her voice shaky as she wiped away tears that threatened to spill over. "What if something happens to him out there? What if he doesn't come back?"

"Come on, Ino," Shikamaru said, trying to keep his tone even. "He's just going to train. Ugetsu's strong enough to handle himself. We'll see him again."

But before he could finish, Ino had already rushed forward, throwing her arms around Ugetsu. "You better come back, Ugetsu! I'll miss you so much!" she cried, her voice muffled against his shoulder. Ugetsu stiffened for a moment, surprised by the force of her embrace, before relaxing into it.

Tenten watched from a distance, a bittersweet smile on her face as she admired Ino's emotional farewell. She appreciated the bond they all shared but couldn't help feeling a pang of sadness herself. "Ino really doesn't hold back, does she?" she remarked softly, her eyes glistening.

"Yeah, but it's nice to know she cares," Kiba chimed in, arms crossed over his chest, a playful smirk on his lips. "I guess we'll have to keep an eye on her while he's gone. Who knows what she'll do?"

Lee stood with a fierce expression, as always, a glint of determination in his eyes. "Ugetsu! When you return, I expect you to train harder than ever! We will both become stronger together!" His enthusiasm seemed to lift the mood slightly, eliciting a chuckle from Neji, who stood stoically next to him.

"Yeah, yeah. No need to get all fired up about it," Neji said, rolling his eyes. "Just make sure you come back in one piece. We don't need any more emotional outbursts from Ino."

Hinata, standing quietly beside Shinto, smiled shyly, her eyes soft as she looked at Ugetsu. "Please be careful, Ugetsu. We're all rooting for you," she said gently, her voice barely above a whisper but filled with sincerity.

Ugetsu looked around at his friends, a mixture of emotions swirling inside him. "I promise I'll come back stronger," he assured them, his voice firm despite the lump forming in his throat.

Ino finally pulled back, her eyes still glistening with tears as she held Ugetsu's shoulders, searching his face. "You better! If you don't come back, I'll come find you, and I'll make you regret it!" she said, half-joking but clearly still worried.

"Yeah, I wouldn't put it past you," Ugetsu replied with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

Shikamaru stepped forward, arms crossed, looking serious despite the lightness of the moment. "Just... don't do anything reckless. You know how the Hidden Mist can be."

"I won't. I promise," Ugetsu assured him, nodding.

As the goodbyes continued, Ugetsu caught sight of Sakura standing a little away from the group, her expression contemplative. He made his way over, the others' chatter fading into the background.

"Sakura-chan."he said softly as he approached.

"Ugetsu," she replied, a small smile breaking through her serious demeanor. "You're really going through with it, huh?"

"Yeah," he said, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. "I need to get stronger. I can't stay in Konoha forever without pushing myself."

She nodded, her gaze steady. "Just remember our promise. You need to come back stronger. We all believe in you."

"Of course. I won't forget," Ugetsu said earnestly, meeting her eyes.

"Good," Sakura replied, her expression softening. "I'll hold you to that."

Just then, Kakashi wandered over, his ever-casual demeanor still intact, but there was an underlying warmth in his gaze. He ruffled Ugetsu's hair affectionately, making the younger boy swat at him playfully. "You better surpass me when you get back, Ugetsu," he said with a grin.

"Yeah, I will! I promise!" Ugetsu replied, feeling a surge of determination.

As the sun dipped lower, casting the group in golden hues, Ugetsu took a deep breath, looking at his friends one last time. "Thanks, everyone. I'll miss you all."

With that, Ugetsu turned and stepped toward the gate, the weight of their goodbyes echoing in his heart. Behind him, he could hear Ino's voice breaking through the lightheartedness of the moment, followed by laughter, promises, and a reminder that he wasn't just leaving Konoha; he was carrying a piece of each of them with him as he stepped into the unknown.