Chapter 38: Elena

When I wake up, the first thing I see is Adrian stepping out of the connected bathroom, a towel hanging low on his hips. Water drips from his hair, and his muscles—strong, defined—catch the light streaming through the curtains. His chest, broad and hard, gleams with droplets, and I can tell he's already been to the gym this morning.

Good morning," he says, his deep, rich voice filling the room.

"Good morning," I reply, my voice soft as I stretch under the sheets. I watch him for a moment longer, taking in the way he moves so effortlessly.

I glance at the clock on the nightstand. It's 9 a.m. I went to bed at around 1 a.m., thinking it would be easier than staying up, worrying about him. But even as I closed my eyes, sleep didn't come easily.

Nights like that, where he comes home late, after handling business, will happen often. I knew that going into this marriage. Yet, the pit of unease in my stomach never quite goes away.

Adrian crosses the room, heading to his closet. The door is slightly ajar, and he disappears behind it.

I sit up, propping myself against the headboard. "What time did you get home last night?" I ask, the memory of waking up briefly when he came in flickering in my mind.

"About 3 a.m.," he calls out from inside the closet.

I nod, even though he can't see me.

Did everything go well yesterday?" I ask, my voice quiet but curious. I watch the closet door, waiting for his answer.

Adrian steps out, now dressed in just a pair of sweatpants. It's the first time I've ever seen him in anything other than a suit, and the contrast is... jarring, but not unwelcome. The gray fabric hangs low on his hips, clinging to his powerful legs, while his chest remains bare, every muscle rippling with the slightest movement. He looks different like this—more relaxed, more human. Less like the cold, calculating man who walks out the door every day to handle God knows what.

His dark eyes meet mine for a moment before he runs a hand through his damp hair. "Don't worry about it," he says, his voice deep, reassuring, but distant. It's the answer I expected, but the way he says it feels like a door closing between us.

I want to ask more, but I know better. This is his way of keeping me at arm's length, protecting me from whatever shadows lurk in his world.

Adrian looks at me for a beat longer before speaking, his tone shifting to something lighter, more casual. "Get ready," he says, his deep voice breaking the silence. "We'll have breakfast somewhere, then go shopping for swimsuits like we talked about yesterday."

I blink, surprised for a second. I hadn't expected him to remember, not with everything else on his plate. But I nod, forcing a small smile. "Okay," I say softly, pushing myself to sit up in bed.