Chapter 113: Adrian

I frown at the empty bed as I step out of the shower, water still dripping down my back. Elena was here. Just minutes ago, she was curled under the sheets, soft and warm.

I don't bother getting dressed, just grab a towel to rub the water from my hair as I head downstairs.

"Elena?" I call out. "El—"

And then I see her.

She's perched on the kitchen counter, legs crossed, wearing nothing but my white button-up shirt. The hem barely covers the tops of her thighs, and the sight is enough to make my blood run hot. Her hair falls messily around her shoulders, and her bare legs swing lazily, tapping softly against the cabinet below.

Fuck.

She's beautiful. Too fucking beautiful. Like something made to ruin me.

She glances up from the laptop balanced on her knees and smiles at me.

"I made you coffee," she says.

I cross the room without a word, close the space between us in two easy steps, and kiss her. Her lips are soft, warm from the steam rising off the mug beside her. It's just a brief kiss, a taste to keep me sane.

She hums against my mouth before I pull away and reach for the coffee she made me.

Her attention drifts back to the screen, and then she frowns slightly, biting her bottom lip.

And it's fucking adorable.

"What?" I ask, setting the mug down, already curious.

"Have you ever owned a pet?" she asks, like the thought has just popped into her head, her brow furrowing as if this is something of deep importance.

I shake my head. "No. Never."

She tilts her head, still staring at the screen. "You've never wanted a pet?" she presses, the hint of disbelief in her voice making me smirk.

"No." I lean closer, resting my hands on the counter beside her thighs. "Why are you suddenly asking me this?"

"Well," she starts, shifting slightly, "I came across this—"

I cut her off, already knowing exactly where this is going. "No."

Her eyes lift to meet mine, a flash of challenge lighting them up. "You didn't even hear me out."

"We are not getting a pet." I say, brushing my thumb along her bare knee.

She lets out the smallest whimper, and damn it, it goes straight to my gut. "Adrian," she pleads, her voice sweet and full of quiet persuasion. "One dog won't hurt."

I exhale slowly, trying to resist the pull of those big, hopeful eyes. "We can't have a dog, love. It needs multiple walks a day, and we don't live in a house. And we can't exactly afford to walk a dog through the park, can we?"

"A cat, then?" she suggests, tilting her head like she's already won.

"A cat is..." I hesitate, searching for a way out.

Her smile widens knowingly, and she shifts the laptop on her knees. "Cats aren't that big of a deal," she says with a playful gleam in her eye. "They're independent. They don't need walks. And they're amazing."

I pinch the bridge of my nose.

I pull my phone out and text Luca: "Elena wants a cat. Help."

His response comes almost instantly: "HAHAHAAHAH"

I scowl at the screen. "I didn't text you to laugh."

His reply: "Tell her you're deadly allergic."

I roll my eyes, tossing the phone onto the counter.

"Elena," I start, trying to steer the conversation back to sanity. "I think we should—"

"Oh my god, look at them!" she gasps, her face lighting up as she spins the laptop toward me.

On the screen are photos of two kittens. One is a smoky gray, its fur thick and fluffy, with ears that seem a little too big for its tiny head. Its bright blue eyes peek sleepily from under heavy lids, as if it's only moments away from dozing off again. The other kitten is a soft orange tabby, its coat a mix of pale creams and ginger stripes, with one paw draped lazily over the gray one's back. Its nose is a perfect pink button, and it's staring directly at the camera with wide, curious eyes.

"We can get them both," she says, as if it's the most obvious solution in the world. "They'll need company. Animals get lonely too."

I rub my temples, fighting the urge to groan. "I didn't even agree to get one."

She's already back to scrolling, lost in a world of adorable kittens, her smile wide and content. And that's the thing—when she smiles like that, it feels like the sun breaking through clouds.

I lean on the counter beside her, watching as she scrolls, a smile on her face.