Chapter 5: Elena

Each minute that passes feels like it's pulling tighter at the fraying edges of my nerves. The anticipation claws at me, making it harder to sit still, to breathe steadily. I glance around the room, but all I see is the same sea of faces I've been seeing since we arrived. He's not one of them.

I can't take it anymore. I need to get away, even if just for a moment. I excuse myself quietly, telling my mother that I'll use the restroom. She nods without much interest, too focused on whatever conversation my father is having.

As I stand, I feel the weight of a hundred eyes, but no one seems to care. I make my way toward the back of the room, spotting a worker holding a champagne tray.

He points me in the direction with a polite smile, and I follow his instructions, my heels clicking against the marble floor as I head to the stairs.

I glance around once I reach the bottom, finding a long hall with several doors, none of which seem to be the restroom. There's a large sitting area, empty for now, with floor-to-ceiling windows that lead outside. My gaze shifts to the restroom sign on one of the doors at the far end of the hall.

I head straight for it, eager to take a breath and regain some semblance of calm. My hand reaches for the handle, pushing down, but I freeze at the sound of voices nearby.

Footsteps approach behind me, the sound sharp and deliberate. I stop, feeling the presence before I hear the voice.

"You're blocking my path," the voice behind me is sharp, cutting through the silence like a blade.

I freeze, my heart nearly stopping at the tone. I don't recognize it, but something tells me who it is before I even turn around.