Chapter 4: Cracks in the Façade

The night was thick with a humidity that clung to Adira's skin, a tangible weight pressing down on her as she stared out the window. The city below flickered with life cars honking in the distance, laughter drifting up from the street, the glow of neon signs reflecting off the rain-soaked pavement.

But none of that mattered up here, in the opulent prison that Dante called home. His world existed far above the reality of ordinary people, a gilded cage suspended in luxury and power, where the rules didn’t apply.

She stood silently, her breath barely more than a whisper in the quiet room, her fingers tracing the edge of the silk curtains absently. Tonight, more than ever, the world beyond these walls felt so far away, like a distant dream she could never touch.

It had been weeks since Eli’s arrival, weeks since the game between him and Dante had truly begun. At first, it was subtle glances exchanged across the table, words spoken in veiled threat, the way they circled each other like predators vying for control.

Dante had always been the dominant force in Adira’s life, the one who decided what she wore, where she went, who she spoke to. But Eli… Eli was different. He moved through Dante’s world like a shadow, quiet, controlled, but undeniably dangerous.

And then there was the way Eli looked at her.

Every time his eyes met hers, Adira felt a spark, a pulse of something she couldn’t quite name but couldn’t deny. It was as if Eli saw the cracks in her carefully crafted façade, the woman she had tried so hard to hide beneath the masks of compliance and obedience. His gaze was dark, knowing, as though he could see straight into her soul, into the parts of herself that even she had forgotten.

But it wasn’t safe to think about Eli. Not with Dante lurking in the background, watching her every move. Dante, who had been growing more volatile with each passing day, his temper flashing like lightning in the night, unpredictable and violent. She had seen the way his eyes darkened when Eli spoke to her, the tightening of his jaw, the cold silence that followed.

The pressure was building. The cracks in their carefully constructed life were widening, and Adira knew it was only a matter of time before everything shattered.

Behind her, she heard the door open with a soft creak, and her body tensed instinctively. Dante’s footsteps were always deliberate, purposeful, as if every step was a reminder of his control over her.

“Adira,” his voice came, smooth and low, though there was a sharp edge to it that made her stomach twist.

She turned slowly, her heart thudding in her chest as she faced him. Dante stood in the doorway, his silhouette framed by the dim light of the hallway. He was dressed in a crisp black suit, as always, perfectly composed, the picture of sophistication and power. But there was something off in the way he held himself tonight something dangerous.

“I was just thinking about you,” she said quietly, forcing a smile onto her lips.

He didn’t return the smile. Instead, he crossed the room in two long strides, his eyes dark and unreadable as he came to stand in front of her. Adira’s pulse quickened, a familiar sense of dread creeping up her spine. She could feel the tension radiating off him, the barely contained anger simmering just beneath the surface.

“Is that right?” he asked, his voice deceptively soft as he reached out to touch her face, his fingers brushing against her cheek. “What were you thinking about?”

Adira swallowed hard, her mind scrambling for an answer that wouldn’t set him off. “About how lucky I am,” she lied, keeping her voice steady. “To have you. To be here.”