Chapter 3: The Stranger

The grand ballroom shimmered with an otherworldly glow, drenched in a sea of candlelight that reflected off the opulent crystal chandeliers above. Adira stood at the edge of it all, her heart pounding beneath the elegant, silken prison of a gown Dante had chosen for her. His hand rested possessively on the small of her back, a reminder that, in this world, she was his.

The laughter and idle chatter of the high-society guests floated around her, muffled by the chaotic whirlpool of her own thoughts. Her eyes, however, were elsewhere fixed on the swirling golden bubbles of champagne in the flute she held, her fingers wrapped tightly around the delicate glass, as if she could squeeze the life out of it and, somehow, herself.

"Smile, Adira," Dante whispered into her ear. His voice was low, commanding, a predator reminding its prey that it had no chance of escape. The scent of his cologne expensive, suffocating made her want to recoil, but she resisted. She was trained better than that. Three years of being his fiancée had molded her into a docile performer.

So, she smiled. But it was hollow, brittle, like the woman she had become.

The gala had been Dante’s idea a charity event of sorts. Another opportunity to flaunt his wealth and influence, to parade her around like some trophy he had won. The guests who surrounded them were nothing more than players in his twisted game. Powerful men and women who nodded in deference to Dante’s every word, smiling politely while silently weighing his worth against their own.

Adira's eyes flicked upward, scanning the room in a fleeting attempt to distract herself. It was then that she noticed him.

At first, she thought she was imagining things, conjuring up a fantasy to escape the crushing weight of her reality. But there he was a stranger, standing by the bar, a little too distant from the crowd to blend in, yet somehow, more real than anyone else in the room.

He was tall, broad-shouldered, his suit fitted perfectly to his frame, yet there was something about him that felt… off. Like a shadow in a sea of light. His hair was dark, almost black, slicked back in a way that seemed careless, and yet, deliberate. His eyes, though those were what caught her, like a snare tightening around her chest. They were sharp, predatory, piercing through the sea of people as though searching for something or someone.

And then, they met hers.

Adira felt the air leave her lungs. A chill ran through her spine, and for a fleeting second, she thought about looking away, about breaking the connection that had suddenly woven itself between them. But she couldn’t. His gaze held her, trapped her, much like Dante’s grip on her life, but this was different. This wasn’t the suffocating pressure of control. It was something else entirely dangerous, yes, but alluring in a way that made her pulse quicken.

Her grip on the champagne flute tightened, the glass trembling ever so slightly in her hand.

"Who is that?" she murmured, barely realizing that she had spoken aloud.

Dante, who had been engrossed in a conversation with one of his business partners, turned his head slightly. His eyes followed hers, and when they landed on the stranger, they narrowed with a cold, calculating sharpness.

"Someone who doesn’t belong," Dante replied, his voice laced with contempt. "Stay away from him."

But it was already too late. The stranger was walking toward them, his steps measured, deliberate, as though the crowd around him parted without effort. There was something in the way he moved fluid, predatory, like a panther closing in on its prey.

Adira’s heart thudded violently in her chest as he approached, and for the first time in a long while, she felt something stir within her a spark, a flicker of rebellion. It terrified her.