Stay out of debt!

Thursday 3rd October 2024

‘The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.’ Proverbs 22:7 NIV

It’s not by accident that these two Scriptures are back-to-back: ‘Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower is servant to the lender.’ (Proverbs 22:6-7 NKJV). The sooner you learn how to budget and manage money the better off you’ll be in the future. It is always wiser to wait and save up for something than to Afterpay it. This system is designed to enslave you into having whatever you want immediately. Before you know it, you keep buying things you ‘want’ not ‘need’ and the repayments never stop. The next thing you know you have multiple repayments to make on different purchases. Next, you start to miss a payment here and there and the late fees start adding up.

Jesus said, ‘… “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”’ (Luke 9:23 NIV). We’re not very good at denying ourselves the things we want. The last thing you want, when you leave your parents’ home to live independently, is to be enslaved in debt. Learn to save and wait before you make a purchase. You might find that you lose interest in the item once the initial temptation has passed. Stay out of debt by learning to wait.

If you are enslaved in Afterpay, pray: ‘Lord, help me take responsibility for the debt I’m in. I gave in to my impulses, overspent, and ignored Your principles of good stewardship. Give me the courage to face my debts and take an honest look at where I stand. Don’t let me live in denial. You warned us not to be ignorant of Satan’s tactics (see 2 Corinthians 2:11). He is attempting to keep me in financial bondage, and, as a result, I am unable to respond when it’s time to sow and finance Your work. Direct me to a trustworthy source that can help me develop a debt-eliminating strategy. Help me to stop having to make additional interest charges. Deliver me from emotional spending. Please, help me to stay out of debt. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.’

SoulFood: Num 29:1-6 Matt 24 Rev 11:15-19 1 Cor 15:50-58