Chapter Two

Chapter two! Enjoy!

==========

Life for the next couple of weeks was no different from the first day. I brought Copeland to work every day, promising to Herbert that I was looking for a solution. In all honesty, I have abandoned the notion of ever finding a day care for Copeland. I knew virtually no one and I couldn't afford actual day care centres in town. Also, I was fairly content with having Copeland around all the time. Back when Katelynne was still around and stayed home all day to look after Copeland, I spent very little time with Copeland. I would leave before she woke up and, more often than not, come home after her bedtime.

Jack was also enjoying the company Copeland was providing. He was completely sucked in by her cheeriness, innocence, and all round adorableness. He even asked to help feed her from time to time. Jack was about my age, fresh out of high school and taking a gap year before going off for college. I found it amusing that a young and unattached boy just nineteen years of age would find so much joy in being around a baby. But it kept me safe from being berated for going into the back room too often so I'm not complaining. Copeland liked him, too.

During the weekends, we stayed home. This wasn't much different from the routine that we had when Katelynne was around. Katelynne worked on weekends in the coffee shop I met her in. Ever since we moved in together, I haven't been back to that place. I have contemplated going in for a visit and see if she's still there. I haven't done it yet. I got Copeland to myself on weekends. Usually, we'd take naps together and I'd entertain her with simple songs and the preloved toys we got for her until Mummy came home.

And that's what we did.

Except these days, Mummy didn't come back through those doors at sundown and Daddy cried himself to sleep again.

I was okay during the day when I had activities and problems to distract me from my broken heart. But the pain comes in the night, choking me and threatening to taunt me forever. I felt like a failure. I felt betrayed. I felt like a disappointment. I felt hopeless. In the sunlight, my world was a reflection of something that used to be. When the sun died, the reflection turned out to be a mirage and the glass around the surreal state shatters. Crying myself to sleep had become a habit. It had begun to feel strange if I didn't wake up to tear streaks on my face.

This week was no different and Herbert had stopped pestering me about Copeland. I thought he'd given up. But just as I was about to leave the shop on Thursday evening, Herbert stopped me to have a word.

"Quinn, I want to tell you that the auditors are coming tomorrow and they will not be pleased to find a baby in the storeroom," he said. "So I'm begging you, for at least one day, that you find a place to put your kid."

"Bu-"

"No buts," he cut in. "Please see to this. Or I'll be forced to fire you. Understood?"

Fire me?! He can't fire me, what am I supposed to do? I need this job. I need money. I stood staring at him, flabbergasted.

"Understood?" He repeated, raising his voice slightly.

I had no choice but to nod numbly and say, "Yes, sir."

He relaxed his stance. "Good boy," he said patronisingly. "Now run along home."

I didn't need telling twice. I spun on my heels and walked briskly to the train station with Copeland in my arms and my rucksack on my back. Now I had this massive headache to solve. Maybe I could ask a favour room Mrs Potts next door. Hopefully I could dig up something of value to give to her in return. I remember her visibly drooling over a nice scarf I had bought for Katelynne last Christmas. She was neither generous nor gentle, as far as I knew. But she would keep Copeland alive for a day. Hopefully she was in a good mood. Which was rare.