2 | this isnt over

The flight was long, but I spent most of it staring out the window, watching the clouds roll beneath me. I kept imagining what it would feel like to step off the plane and into the warm Dubai air, to settle into my hotel and just exist in a space that was all mine. No fights. No tension. Just me and my work. When the plane finally touched down, I was exhausted but hopeful, like maybe, just maybe, things were turning around.

After grabbing my luggage, I made my way to the hotel. It was breathtaking everything I had imagined and more. Towering, sleek, modern. The kind of place where you could almost convince yourself you were someone else, someone with a perfect life. The lobby shimmered with polished marble, and the staff greeted me with smiles as they handed over my key. I felt lighter, like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders, even if just for a little while.

My room was gorgeous. Floor to ceiling windows offered a panoramic view of the city, the skyline dotted with skyscrapers and the glittering coast stretching beyond. I let out a long sigh, tossing my bags onto the plush bed before sinking down next to them. For the first time in what felt like forever, I could actually relax. I wasn't looking over my shoulder, waiting for the next argument, the next accusation. This was my space. This was my moment.

I spent the evening unpacking slowly, savoring the quiet. After a long, hot shower, I settled into bed, the exhaustion finally catching up to me. The sheets felt cool against my skin as I drifted off, lulled to sleep by the distant hum of the city.

The next morning, I woke up to the sun pouring through the windows. For a second, I forgot where I was, and then the realization hit me I was in Dubai. I stretched, feeling rested for the first time in ages. My first shoot wasn't until later in the day, so I had time to enjoy a peaceful morning. I headed down to the hotel restaurant.

The restaurant was elegant, with an expansive buffet and a view of the beach. I grabbed a plate of fresh fruit and pastries and found a quiet corner to sit, taking in the scenery as I sipped my coffee. Everything felt normal, blissfully normal. No drama, no tension. Just a simple morning in a beautiful place. I should've known it wouldn't last.

After breakfast, I returned to my room to prepare for the day. I was mentally mapping out my schedule, excited about the desert shoot, when I heard the knock. I wasn't expecting anyone, but I didn't think much of it maybe it was hotel staff, maybe an update about my car to the location. I opened the door, and there he was.

Kye.

At first, when I saw him standing in the lobby, holding flowers and a poster with my name on it, I almost let myself believe it was sweet. A surprise, just like in the movies. But as the night wore on, the weight I thought I'd left behind in California settled over me again, heavier than ever. His presence in Dubai wasn't the loving gesture I had hoped for it was control, veiled as romance.

I should have known better when he asked about the shoot.

"Who's this shoot with again?" His tone was already sharp. I felt the tension creep into my chest, twisting tighter with every word. The answer, simple as it was, felt like a trigger.

"It's just with a well-known actor," I said, hoping he wouldn't turn it into something it wasn't. "It's nothing big, but it's great exposure."

"Nothing big? You didn't even ask if I was okay with that," he snapped, pacing the room.

I had heard this before. The jealousy, the accusations. It was all too familiar. But tonight, something was different there was a darkness in his voice that I couldn't ignore. When he grabbed my wrist, hard, my pulse quickened with fear.

I tried to reason with him, but his grip tightened. "You think you can just run around, acting like you're single? Like I don't exist?"

"Kye, let go," I whispered, the words barely leaving my mouth.

And then, as if the universe was listening, there was a knock at the door. Jordan. I barely knew her just the girl from the room next door but in that moment, her voice was a lifeline.

"Is everything okay in there?"

Kye stormed over, still holding onto me, and flung the door open. "We're fine," he said, slamming the door in her face.

The silence that followed was suffocating. His hand still wrapped around my wrist, I could feel the anger radiating off him, the tension crackling in the air. I was trapped.

"Kye, you're hurting me," I whispered, barely holding it together.

Another knock. Jordan again. She wasn't going to walk away this time. "Open the door," she called, her voice firmer now.

For a second, Kye's grip loosened, his attention shifting to the door. That's when I pulled away. My wrist throbbed, but I didn't care. I needed to breathe. "Kye, just go," I pleaded, my voice trembling. "Please, just leave."

His eyes burned with frustration. "You think you can just make me leave? After everything I've done for you?"

Jordan's voice cut through the room again. "If you don't open this door, I'm calling the cops"

I held my breath, afraid of what he might do next. But then, just as quickly as his rage had ignited, it fizzled. His face softened, almost like he was realizing what he had done. He let out a groan and stepped back. "Fine. I'll go," he said, but his words felt like a threat. "But im not done with you, this isn't over."

He yanked open the door, brushing past Jordan without another word. Her eyes followed him down the hall before she turned back to me, concern written all over her face.

"Uh... I heard shouting. Are you okay?" she asked, awkward but sincere.

I wanted to tell her the truth. I wanted to scream, to cry, to ask for help. But I couldn't. Not now. I forced a nod, my voice barely a whisper. "I'm fine. Thank you."

Jordan hesitated, clearly unsure, but eventually gave me a small nod. "Alright. I'm right next door if you need anything."

The door clicked shut behind her, and I collapsed onto the bed, my whole body shaking. My phone buzzed in my hand, and when I glanced at the screen, my heart sank.

A message from Kye.

" This isn't over."

And just like that, I knew I hadn't escaped him after all.