3 | the art of pretending

I woke up with a start, sunlight streaming through the heavy curtains of my hotel suite, casting a golden glow across the room. For a moment, I forgot where I was, but the stiffness in my body quickly reminded me. The memories from last night rushed back Kye's anger, the tight grip on my wrist, the threat in his voice. I shuddered as my hand instinctively went to the fresh bruise hidden beneath my sleeve. I couldn't let anyone see it. Not today.

Today, I had to be perfect.

I dragged myself out of bed, ignoring the dull ache that seemed to settle in every muscle. I moved through my routine mechanically washing my face, brushing my teeth, applying makeup with practiced precision. Each brushstroke was like armor, layer upon layer, covering the bruises, hiding the truth. My reflection in the mirror looked flawless, composed, like nothing was wrong. But inside, everything felt wrong.

Once I arrived at the shoot, the crew greeted me with warmth, their smiles a stark contrast to the storm brewing inside me. I threw myself into the work, striking pose after pose against the stunning desert backdrop, losing myself in the rhythm of the camera clicks. For a few hours, I could almost forget. I could almost pretend I wasn't suffocating under the weight of Kye's presence in my life.

But the shoot ended, and reality crashed back in. I was whisked away to a nearby resort, where I was informed I'd been selected to give a speech at an exclusive charity event that night. It was an opportunity I couldn't refuse a chance to further solidify my place in the industry. But the thought of speaking in front of a crowd made my stomach twist. Still, I agreed. What choice did I have?

The rest of the day was a blur of smiles, handshakes, and photo ops. By the time the sun dipped below the horizon, the mask I wore so effortlessly began to crack. My entire body ached from the effort of holding it all together. Pretending. I barely made it back to the hotel before I felt the weight of it all bearing down on me.

I needed to practice my speech, but the words felt like lead in my mouth. I walked the quiet lobby outside my room, whispering the lines to myself, trying to believe them. Trying to feel something other than the emptiness that had settled in my chest.

I didn't hear the footsteps until they were close.

"Public speaking doesn't come easy for most people, you know."

I spun around, my heart skipping a beat. It was Jordan, leaning casually against the wall, arms crossed. We hadn't spoken much since she knocked on my door yesterday, after hearing the argument between me and Kye. She hadn't pushed me for details, and I was grateful for that. But now, seeing her here, part of me felt exposed.

"I didn't mean to startle you," Jordan added quickly when she saw the surprise on my face.

I let out a shaky breath, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "It's okay. I'm just... practicing. For a speech I have to give tomorrow."

She nodded, curiosity flickering across her face. "I overheard a little. It sounds like it's important."

I forced a small smile. "It is. It's for a charity event. Kind of a big deal, but... I don't know if I'm ready for it."

Jordan studied me for a moment, then stepped a little closer, her posture easy, like she wasn't trying too hard but... I don't know. There was something calming about the way she carried herself. "You know, you've already got the hard part down the whole 'looking composed' thing. But speeches... they're about more than that. You've got to feel it. Believe in what you're saying."

Her words hit me harder than I expected. Nobody in my world said things like that, not without some hidden agenda. But Jordan's voice was steady, genuine, like she was offering advice without asking for anything in return.

"I've just got a lot on my mind," I admitted softly, surprising myself. I hadn't planned to open up, but there was something about her presence that made it feel okay. Like I wasn't so alone.

Jordan smiled, her eyes lingering on me for a moment longer than I expected. "I get that. I'm not a model or anything, but I know what it's like to juggle a million things and pretend everything's fine when it's really not."

Her words made my chest tighten, because she was right. I'd been pretending for so long, I wasn't even sure what was real anymore. "Yeah," I said quietly, "it's exhausting."

She softened, her gaze warm. "Tell you what how about we grab lunch tomorrow? Get your mind off the speech. Maybe I can even help you practice a little. Sometimes it helps to have a fresh set of ears."

I hesitated, the instinct to say no bubbling up like it always did. But then, something in me shifted. I'd been so isolated, pushed into a corner by Kye's control and my own fears. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let someone in, just for a little while.

"That sounds nice," I said, offering her a small smile. "I'd like that."

Jordan grinned, her energy infectious. She glanced at me, eyes playful. "Cool. It's a date, then."

I froze for just a second, caught off guard by the way her words hung in the air. It was subtle, but there was something in the way she said it a flicker of something I couldn't quite name. Before I could figure it out, she gave me a quick wave and headed back toward her room.

I stood there in the hallway, my mind spinning. For the first time in a long time, I felt hopeful. Like maybe, just maybe, there was a way out of this mess. Maybe I didn't have to carry it all alone.

But even as that hope bloomed, a familiar knot of anxiety twisted in my stomach. Kye wouldn't like this. He wouldn't like me making new friends, especially someone like Jordan confident, sure of herself, not afraid to stand her ground.

I pulled out my phone, and my heart sank as I saw a message from Kye waiting for me. My hand shook slightly as I opened it.

"We need to talk. I'm not letting this go."

My pulse quickened, the air around me thickening. Even with Jordan's offer of support, the shadow of Kye still loomed over me. Tomorrow would bring its own challenges on and off the stage. And I wasn't sure if I was ready to face either.