10 | breaking point

I could barely keep my hands steady on the wheel as I sped to the hospital, my heart pounding in my chest. My phone lay discarded on the passenger seat, buzzing with texts and calls, but I didn't care. I had already told my family and managers where I was going, but they had no idea why I was rushing to a hospital in the middle of the night. I hadn't told them about Sienna. How could I? They wouldn't understand.

The headlights of my car sliced through the dark streets, the hospital looming closer, but it felt like every mile stretched on forever. My mind raced just as fast as the car. Sienna. Sienna had been hurt, badly. I could still feel the sharp sting of panic in my gut when I saw her. I didn't know all the details, just that Sienna had been attacked, and now, she was fighting for her life.

My managers had asked who Sienna was when I explained the situation during my frantic calls. All I could say was, "She's someone I got along with on set." That's all I'd ever told anyone. I never wanted them to ask questions or, worse, to force Sienna into signing an NDA. I trusted her, and the last thing I wanted was for the people around me to treat Sienna like a stranger or a risk. Sienna was neither of those things.

I pulled into the hospital parking lot, tires screeching as I came to a stop. Throwing the door open, I ran inside, my legs carrying me on pure adrenaline. The receptionist at the front desk barely looked up when I rushed over.

"I'm here to see Sienna," I panted, my voice strained with urgency.

"What's her last name?" the receptionist asked calmly, tapping away at her computer.

"Lévesque. Sienna Lévesque."

"And your relation to the patient?"

"Girlfriend," I said without hesitation.

The receptionist nodded, a flicker of understanding in her eyes, and motioned for me to go ahead. "Room 417."

My breath caught in my throat as I rushed toward the elevator. Girlfriend. That was the first time I had said it aloud. It felt right, but it also scared me. I didn't have time to think about that now, though. All I could think about was Sienna.

As soon as the elevator doors slid open, I bolted down the hall, my heart hammering in my chest. I burst into the room, my eyes immediately landing on the unconscious figure in the bed. Sienna looked so small, so fragile. Tubes and wires snaked around her body, the soft beeping of the machines the only indication that she was still alive.

My throat tightened as I approached the bed. I turned to the nurse, my voice shaky. "Will she make it?"

The nurse looked at me, sympathy in her eyes, but she didn't answer. Instead, she moved to adjust the monitors, her silence heavy.

I blinked back tears and ran a hand through my hair, trying to keep myself together. "Where's her family? Why aren't they here?"

"We haven't been able to reach them yet," the nurse said quietly.

My mind whirled. Why weren't her parents here? Sienna had a family, so where were they? Now that I thought about it, Sienna never really mentioned her family. But I couldn't focus on that right now. I needed to be here. If Sienna's parents weren't, then I would be.

Moments later, my family arrived, flooding the room with questions. My managers were there too, their faces etched with confusion and concern.

"Who is she?" my mother asked, worry lacing her voice.

I sighed, rubbing my temples. "She's someone I met on set. We happened to be next door from each other's hotel rooms. We became close, and I've been seeing her ever since."