9 | why?

I woke up to the sound of dogs barking outside and bird's lightly chirping. Jordan's arm was draped over my waist, her breath warm against my neck. The kiss from last night lingered in the back of my mind, but neither of us had said a word about it. It was as if we silently agreed to let it sit between us, unspoken.

I gently moved out of Jordan's grasp, careful not to wake her, and padded across the room to get dressed. By the time I'd finished, she was stirring. I glanced over, catching her eyes on me, a sleepy smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

"Morning," she said, her voice low and soft.

"Morning," I replied, smiling back, but the butterflies in my stomach were impossible to ignore.

We got ready quickly, the usual banter slipping back between us as if nothing had changed, even though everything felt different. Jordans manager always figured out a way to get her a car, so she drove us to the shoot. I leaned back in the passenger seat, staring out at the palm trees that lined the roads. The sky was a perfect, endless blue.

"So," Jordan started, giving me a sidelong glance. "You gonna tell me what you dreamed about? You kept mumbling in your sleep."

I laughed softly, shaking my head. "Probably something ridiculous. Knowing me, I was running late to a shoot or something. What about you?"

"I dreamt I was surfing," she said with a grin. "Except instead of a board, I was on a giant slice of pizza."

I burst out laughing, covering my mouth. "What?! That's the most random thing I've ever heard."

"Yeah, well, that's me." Jordan winked, her hand briefly brushing against mine as she adjusted the gear shift. I felt a jolt of warmth from the touch, but I tried not to let it show.

The drive to the location was easy and light-hearted, full of that same energy we always had together, but there was something new now an undercurrent of tension that made every glance, every touch, feel more charged. I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss from last night, the way it had happened so naturally. But we didn't talk about it. Not yet.

When we arrived at the shoot, we fell into our usual rhythm. The crew greeted us warmly, and soon enough, we were deep in the familiar chaos of makeup, wardrobe changes, and posing for the camera. I'd been doing this for years, but today I felt lighter—freer, almost. Every time I glanced over, Jordan was watching me, her smile steady, her eyes following my movements. It made me want to work harder, to be better.

Between takes, we'd steal moments together. Jordan would come up behind me, her hand grazing my back as she passed, or she'd make some joke that would have me laughing when I was supposed to stay serious. The photographer didn't seem to mind he kept telling me to "stay in the moment" as if he could sense something different about me today.

By the time we wrapped up the shoot, I was exhausted, but in the best way. As we drove back to the hotel, the setting sun cast a golden glow over everything. It felt like the world was slowing down, like we had stepped out of reality for a while.

Jordan turned to me at a red light, her gaze lingering. "You wanna hit the beach later? Just us?"

I nodded without hesitation. "Yeah, I'd love that."

When we got back to the hotel, we quickly changed into our swimsuits. I opted for a black bikini, simple but flattering, while Jordan wore a pair of board shorts and a loose tank top. We made our way down to the beach, the warm sand between my toes instantly grounding me. The ocean stretched out in front of us, waves gently lapping at the shore.

We walked into the water together, the coolness refreshing against my skin. At first, we just floated, side by side, enjoying the peace of the moment. But then Jordan got playful, splashing me with water.