Semblance In Town

Disclaimer: I don't own Gate or Nihon-koku Shoukan, as they belong to their rightful owners.

Semblance in Town

Was this still a haven for the displaced?

Cato couldn't remember the last time he had set foot in a place bustling with villagers from far-off lands.

The villagers, who had been displaced from their homes due to land conflicts, were finally beginning to establish a sense of normal life.

As he looked upon the area, he envisioned a lively town where the once temporary shacks had been transformed into solid buildings resembling traditional shophouses but more stiff and robust.

The tall, slender silver poles known as "Electrical posts" stood erect alongside the sleek, gray pathway, as referred to by the Men in Green.

Allegedly that they produced a certain element that can summon bright lights from a glass...but not through magic or spells.

Other than that...foot traffic was very high, consisting of the villagers and newly arrived merchants looking for opportunities.

The elderly mage found himself captivated by the ever-changing scenery during most of the journey. To his surprise, he was granted the honor of being accompanied by the Men in Green as they traveled in their innovative, horseless carriages.

"Dyips" as they called it this time due to their signature square snout and teeth-like grills in front.

"It's hardly the refugee camp from weeks back."

The man who drove the vehicle remarked.

Feels like a genuine town in my opinion."

He slightly chuckled "So I noticed."

"Besides that...How did you men manage to build a whole community in this land?"

The driver sighed wearily and said, "They just keep coming, sir. Not long ago, I was assigned to a division that assists newly arrived refugees on the doorstep."

Oh boy, how it reminded him of a similar situation back home.

Cato smiled slightly. "I'm guessing it's because of your recent actions that many people see you as heroes or saviors?"

A brief moment of silence went by.

"Perhaps...ever since the base had been established...that more people keep piling up and I guess some of them had connections and they begin spreading the news."

"Although, have you taken note of any positive results?"

"Well...there are pretty much a lot of shops here right now and I guess it's a nice addition since some of us could use a little time off...I mean those people in carts selling good stuff...from this world.

In other words...Potential souvenirs.

The old man nodded in understanding.

It could also be the merchants.

The ones who had wider contacts across the land.

The ones who knew how to make the best out of every opportunity.

"Uhmm, Mr. Cato..If it's okay with you...but may I ask why did you request to be brought towards the Bar?"

The old man blinked a couple of times before he finally remembered and realized what he meant.

"Oh, I will be meeting a friend there." He paused for a brief moment." Well, to tell you the truth, this is my first time going there."

There was a lot of stirs regarding that place ever since and this was a good time for him to find out.