Chapter 5: Unexpected Confessions

The following week, Kai and Michael were walking home from dance practice. The evening sky painted with hues of pink and orange. Michael’s laughter filled the air as he shared stories from their rehearsals. Kai felt a warmth spreading through him, but it was tinged with sadness.

“Hey, Michael,” Kai started hesitantly, “can I ask you something?”

“Of course! What’s up?” Michael replied, glancing at him with curiosity.

“What do you think about… relationships?” Kai’s heart raced as he spoke, the words spilling out before he could second-guess himself.

Michael paused, contemplating the question. “Honestly, I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. Dancing takes up so much time, but I do want to find someone who understands my passion. Someone who gets me, you know?”

Kai felt a pang in his chest at Michael’s words. “What if… what if that someone is already close to you?” His voice barely above a whisper, fear of the answer gripping him.

Michael looked at him, surprise flashing in his eyes. “What do you mean?”

“I just… I think it’s important to be honest about your feelings,” Kai stammered, his courage wavering. “Sometimes it’s easier to keep things hidden, but… it can hurt too.”

A silence fell between them, heavy with unspoken words. Michael opened his mouth to respond, but just then, a group of their friends called out, pulling them back into the moment. Kai felt a mix of relief and frustration as the moment slipped away.