5. Ek Nayi Shuruaat

"You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are gray"

A soft smile spread across Priya's lips as she heard Ram humming this song as a lullaby to make Raya fall asleep. Her chest warmed instantly and with a smile she leaned on the bathroom door, just admiring them. 

"You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take

My sunshine away"

Tears brimmed in her eyes as she watched Ram rock little Raya in his arms, lost in his world, completely unaware of her presence.

Ram's back was facing her so he couldn't see her but the moment he turned, their eyes met- both filled with joyful tears. 

As Priya's eyes landed on her daughter, cocooned in her Papa's arms, she was pleasantly surprised to find her peacefully asleep, clutching Ram's collar. A soft gasp escaped Priya's lips as Raya never slept this early before. She would always blabber till midnight and then after countless attempts she would finally fall asleep. Yet here, in her husband's embrace, it felt effortless, like a simple cakewalk. 

Priya(with a whisper): So gayi? 

Ram(with a soft smile): Haan...zyada der nahi 5 minutes huye honge. 

Priya nodded with a smile but a part of her felt like an incompetent mother who was failing every second of her existence, not being able to take care of her child the way she wanted, not being able to fulfill her needs properly. 

Shaking her head once gently, she caressed Raya's hair and then very carefully she took off the hair ties and massaged her head a little. 

Ram: Sula doon main?

Priya: Haan haan...ek second. 

Priya placed Raya's pillow in the middle of the bed and then gestured Ram to lie her down. He gently placed Raya's head on the pillow but couldn't loosen the grip of her tiny fingers. 

Ram: Priya...yeh...

Priya smiled softly and then tickled Raya's tummy a little and surprisingly her grip loosened and a subtle frown formed on her forehead. 

Ram: Wow...achhi trick hai yeh toh. 

Priya looked into Ram's eyes and nodded with a smile. That's when she noticed that he was sweating. 

As it was raining earlier, the weather had improved but now it was getting hotter again, which was, of course, a problem for Ram. 

Priya: Aapko garmi lagg rahi hai na?

Ram wiped his forehead with the sleeve of his kurta and then shook his head gently. 

Ram: Nahi. Thodi hi garmi hai bass. 

Priya's eyes saddened, seeing him so casually ignoring his discomfort because he didn't want to make her feel bad. She felt guilty for calling him there without thinking about his comfort. 

Priya(in a sad tone): Sorry. 

Ram looked into her moist eyes and they broke his heart. She was in this position because of him, she had to do it all alone because of him. Yet here she was, apologizing to him, when he should be the one to apologise. 

Ram(with a frown): Sorry? Kis liye sorry bol rahi ho? Sorry toh mujhe bolna chahiye Priya. Tum toh sab kuch itne achhe se sambhal rahi ho. Rai ka dhyaan akele rakh rahi ho, ghar ke saare kaam- sab kuch sambhal rahi ho...aur main kuch din ke liye itna sa adjust nahi sakta?