CHAPTER 1. PROMISE

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

FIVE YEARS AGO

"If one day something happens to me, I want you to take care of my brother."

Kim raised an amused eyebrow, putting down his non-alcoholic beverage. "Alright, I think it's time for me to take you home, buddy."

Porsche shook his head, waving his hand in front of himself, "no, drunk! I'm serious. Our line of work is extremely dangerous. We never know. Besides me, Porchay has only you. Take care of him, Kimhan. Okay? Take care of him."

Kim sighed, leaning deeper into the L-shaped sofa in atrocious burned-orange colour, at their favourite hang-out spot—The Yok's Bar. He clicked his tongue, looking right at his best friend, "and what if something happens to me instead of you, huh? Ever thought of that?"

"You aren't going to ask me to take care of your brothers—you are the youngest!" Porsche scoffed and chucked down another glass of scotch whisky.

"Fair point," Kim chuckled.

Porsche's face suddenly turned serious. He leaned over the table and grabbed Kim's hand, "I mean it, Kimhan. I might be drunk right now, but you know just as well as me that Porchay has no one else besides us two. Maybe nothing will happen to me... maybe it will... all I want is to know that no matter what, my brother will have someone who will take care of him."

"And what am I supposed to do?" Kim chuckled. "Marry him?"

Porsche dropped his head low and laughed, "don't say this in front of him because he would actually say yes."

"I see that his silly little crush on me is still going strong," Kim laughed.

Porsche raised his head and pointed right at Kim, "oh, you bet! But whatever! I'm not saying to marry him. Just be there for him in case I won't be able to be anymore."

Kim felt Porsche squeezing his hand tighter, eyes glistening from alcohol but reflecting how serious he truly was about that conversation. It made baby hair at the back of Kim's neck stand up.

He took a deep breath and nodded, "of course, I'll take care of him! Come on, he is your little brother... I love him almost as much as I love you. What wouldn't I do for my best friend, hmm?"

"Get your brother to love me," Porsche scoffed and glared at Kim.

Kim huffed a short laugh, "Kinn's love life is very much not my business, you know that."

"Whatever!" Porsche groaned and raised his glass of whisky in the air, "we made it, buddy! The training is over. We are part of the SWAT team now! Con-fucking-gratulations to us!"