CHAPTER 2. SHATTERED & HOPELESS

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chay groaned, plopping on the sofa in their living room. He stared at the last text message he had sent to Kim about an hour ago. Kim could at least send him a heart back so that Chay could screenshot it and keep it in a secret folder forever. Honestly, it sucked! This was the first time that they wouldn't be celebrating his birthday on the day of his actual birthday. It wasn't that Chay was a spoiled brat or anything. He understood that the job the two most important people in his life were doing was saving lives of other people—people who were the most important to someone else as well, but his birthday... it had always been a special time for all three of them. Since Chay could remember his brother and Kim made sure that Chay would have fun during his birthday and keep only the good memories, that he wouldn't be missing his parents, that tad bit more than usual.

It had become like a ritual for the three of them. As the first thing, Porsche always woke Chay up with breakfast in bed. The only day in the year that Chay was allowed to eat in bed. Then all three of them go about their business until the evening when the real fun starts. Every year, it's a bit different. Every year, Chay could be sure only that they would have a birthday dinner, other than that, Chay had no idea what the surprise would be.

On his thirteenth birthday, they took him to an aquarium, and Chay got to swim with dolphins.

On his fifteenth birthday, Kim gave Chay his first boxing lesson. There weren't many days in his life when Chay was happier than that day.

And then, on his eighteenth birthday, Porsche let Chay drink for the first time, and Chay did... he drank enough to become drunk... enough to kiss Kim right on the lips and being pushed away by startled Kim just seconds later. Chay thought that he fucked up—royally fucked up. He thought that Kim would never want to talk to him again. He thought that he ruined the friendship that meant so much to him just because of his stupid crush, but Kim, sweet, caring Kim, he just shrugged it off, saying that he understood that it was too much alcohol for Chay for the first time. And everything was great once again between them. Almost everything—Chay could still feel the taste of Kim's lips linger on his own.

PAST

— "More," Chay reaches out for the bottle of whiskey sitting on the kitchen counter in his house. Porsche disappeared somewhere outside, maybe going for some fresh air, so it's only Chay and Kim, and Chay is watching how Kim's whiskey eyes are twinkling in amusement, watching Chay getting drunk for the first time.

Kim reaches the whiskey bottle before Chay can and pushes it across the kitchen counter before Chay can get to it, "I think that you've had enough, don't you think?"

Chay pouts, "enough?" He leans closer to Kim and whispers, or more like mumbles, "what if hia won't... won't let me drink again? Maybe today is an ex-excep... expecti..."