Chapter 31

Sophie was in her upstairs bedroom at her father's house in Pala, watching videos on her phone. Her mother, Katrina, was downstairs watching a show on TV, and Sebastian hadn't come home yet. Suddenly, she received a call from Leena. Just two days ago, they had a tense conversation about Leena's alleged affair with a married man and her pregnancy. The conversation had ended on an unpleasant note due to the circumstances, so Sophie was surprised that Leena was calling her so soon. She picked up the call and was even more surprised to hear a male voice.

"Hello, Ms. Sophie, my name is Rajiv, and I wanted to speak with you."

Sophie racked her brain, trying to remember who Rajiv was, and then it clicked—Rajiv Padmanabhan, Leena's affair partner.

"Uh... hi..." stammered Sophie, unsure why he was calling.

"Ms Sophie, I am Leena's husband and the father of all her children and I wanted to speak to you since you had gone many times against your own family to protect Leena. She has been kidnapped by your father from my home. I haven't gone to police yet because I want to get her back without too much trouble. So, tell me if she is there," said Rajiv.

"What?" Sophie was in confused, "Appachan kidnapped Leena? I don't know where she is."

"Sophie, please think, where could he possibly take her?" asked Rajiv.

Sophie thought for a while and said, "Obviously to Pala. He has people and places in here where he could hide her."

"If I come there will you help me locate her?" asked Rajiv.

"That.. I...", stammered Sophie, unsure of how she could so blatantly go against her father. Already she was at odds with him for providing a home to Leena when she came back to Kerala.

"Please... she is pregnant and may be hurt or injured. Can't you do this even for the sake of humanity?" asked Rajiv.

"My father is not here yet, when he arrives I will try to get the information," replied Sophie.

"We will be on our way," said Rajiv. Then Rajiv, Ravi and Mani went in one car, followed by Srikant, Abhi and Mahadevan in another car and in the last car was Inder with his men. On the way to Pala, Rajiv had called Praseetha and told her to keep the copies of the evidence against Sebastian ready for a story in her channel.

About an hour after Rajiv's call, Sebastian and Saji entered the house and Katrina went to meet them.

"So, did you find her?" Katrina asked excitedly.

Sebastian gave her a vile grin and nodded.

"The papers aren't ready yet, but once they are, we'll get her signature. Then all those crores of rupees worth of property will be in our name. This time, I'll make sure to include all of Mathew's properties in the deed as well," Sebastian said.

"That'll be such a hefty sum," Katrina replied, her eyes glinting with greed.

"Yeah, that bastard left his property to Leena and her offspring. Good thing we found out about her pregnancy before the delivery. If the kid had been born, it would've been much harder to get all the properties transferred in my name," said Sebastian.

"Where's that wretched girl?" Katrina asked.

"Safe in our machinepura (a small room with machines for processing rubber)," Sebastian replied. Neither of them noticed the sharp intake of breath from the room nearby. Sophie, hiding there after hearing her father arrive, had been spying on their conversation. She had tried to avoid getting involved in her father's illegal dealings, but this was about Leena—her sister—and Sophie couldn't let anything happen to her.