Chapter 5: The Legacy of Teamwork

The seasons went without change for Ivrie Dental Clinic, a beaming entity of cooperative care. During one of their meetings, Dr. Pagay made a suggestion that was said to fire up the excitement among her peers. "What if we start a student mentorship program?" she proposed. We share with them our experiences and impress them on the importance of collaboration in dentistry."

The group accepted the idea immediately. They felt they were developing a program whereby dental graduates would follow them around, observe real cases, and learn how to work together. Each specialist agreed to take on several students to help develop their acquaintance with teamwork in dental practice.

They took to the cause and launched the program by inviting dental student clinicians from other schools, such as Southwestern University PHINMA, Cebu Doctor's University, and the University of Visayas, to the clinic for hands-on experiences. The students came eager to learn from more experienced professionals. As they saw the team handle complex cases, they saw firsthand the power of teamwork.

During one of the mentorship sessions, Dr. Lim led a lecture on root canal treatments. "Many fear this treatment, yet it is important for natural teeth to be preserved," she said. She emphasized the early issues and stated that teamwork allowed interventions to happen at the correct times.

Gum health and overall dental well-being: "When we work together, we ensure that every aspect of a patient's care is considered. That makes us a successful team, " said Dr. Sandoval when asked for further elaboration about the importance of oral care.

The trainees learned from the training how all the specialties were interconnected and how specialists relate and share expertise to give complete, comprehensive care to the patient.

The program's climax at the end of the year was the community dental fair. Under the tutelage of specialists, the pupils offered free dental screenings to families in the neighborhood. Everyone flocked to the clinic as excited to hear the specialists render their dental services.

Since the exposition went well, the specialists said that a different spirit of teamwork inspired students to use their collaboration—every meeting with a patient led them to understand why teamwork is essential. Appreciation for the care in the families is what was expected, but this experience is priceless for the students because of the exposure made to the specialists.

The team met as the sun set in its final rays for the fair's last day. They settled down, reflecting on their day. "This is what it's all about," said Dr. Pagay with a whole heart swelling up with pride. "Together, we can make a difference."

They learned they had mentored future dentists and, at the same time, had built belongingness; they had empowered the students to understand that being an individual with skills is not only about skills but also about teamwork and communication.

That was the most fulfilling moment for the team. They were no longer putting smiles on the faces of the patients but building a legacy of teamwork that would reverberate for years to come. They gazed around at the smiles of the patients and the high spirits of the clinicians and knew well that collective efforts are different-one smile at a time.