Chapter 4: Bridging the Gap

Several years passed, and the clinic was operational and up to date. One day, the experts were tested. It was a young man in the person called Cole who had extreme dental trauma due to a motor accident. The team met to deliberate on his case and realized a comprehensive approach was necessary.

Dr. Gungub, an oral surgeon, took over the case. "We have to be sure that Cole's jaw is stable before we do anything else," she declared firmly. I will examine these fractures to see if he requires surgery."

Dr. Sandoval agreed and continued, "We must also evaluate the periodontal status. As a result of the trauma, his periodontal condition will significantly affect his recovery as well.

As they created Cole's treatment plan, "Just about the orthodontic aspects," Dr. Pagay remembered, "Once we stabilize his jaw, I will ensure it is aligned correctly. We may even need to think more about the other teeth."

The doctors and specialists agreed to visit Cole several times, so a series of visits was scheduled. Dr. Gungub's examination would enable him to determine the severity of the injuries while Dr. Sandoval prepared himself to assess the health of Cole's gums. The entire dental team focused on providing Cole with the best care possible.

It was Cole's first time at their hospital. From the first day, he sat on their sofa, looking anxious but hopeful. "I just want to be able to smile again," he said a little worriedly. With a warm smile, Dr. Gungub welcomed him and assured him that everything possible would be done for him to regain his confidence.

Having run some tests on Cole, Dr. Gungub established that Cole's jaw had to be set right through surgery. The doctors were prompt and ensured that Dr. Sandoval closely observed Cole's gum condition while undergoing surgery. The operating room was very electric, but the body pose was one of concentration, as every specialist had a stake in the colleague's triumph.

Then, after Cole stabilized enough to start the healing process, Dr. Pagay scheduled an appointment to discuss the orthodontic component of the treatment. "Once you are cleared from surgery, we will both need to work together to ensure your teeth come in properly," she said confidently.

On most of his subsequent visits to the hospital, the doctors would discuss Cole's progress and the necessary adjustments to be made in his treatment. Dr. Lim would even explain to him any more profound issues that could result from such trauma so that no stone was left unturned.

Lastly, as Cole's recovery continued to go well, Dr. Tul-id made a point about therapeutic choices: "We need to work on getting prosthetic teeth to smooth those interfaces with what is left in place. So that's both aesthetically and functionally."

Experts were amazed at how far Cole had come. "Your commitment to recovery has been incredible," beamed Dr. Gungub. "You have done the hard work, and we will help you finish this journey."

As Cole left the clinic, he thanked the whole team. "Thank you so much for care; I can smile again," he said, hopeful.

The specialists were highly successful. Their working relationship transformed the character of Cole's encounter, demonstrating the potential of teamwork to bridge the gap between trauma and healing.