The Confession

The warm glow of the campfire flickered against the backdrop of the darkening sky as campers gathered, their faces illuminated by the flames. Laughter and chatter filled the air, momentarily pushing aside the tensions brewing at Camp Half-Blood. Hermione sat between Luna and Neville, her mind elsewhere as she absently roasted a marshmallow.

As the stories of heroic deeds and legendary battles unfolded around her, Hermione felt a tug in her heart. Memories of her time at Hogwarts and the bond she shared with Percy flooded her thoughts, each recollection a reminder of what they had lost.

"Hey, Hermione, it's your turn!" Neville nudged her, pulling her from her reverie.

Hermione swallowed hard, knowing she needed to say something that mattered. She took a deep breath, summoning her courage. "I just want to say that I regret some of the choices I've made. Breaking up with Percy was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I thought it was for the best, focusing on the war, but it feels like I've lost a part of myself in the process."

A hush fell over the group as they listened, the weight of her words resonating in the air. Luna nodded encouragingly, and Neville looked at her with concern. "You were brave to say that," Neville offered. "I'm sure Percy would understand."

"Would he?" Hermione murmured, her gaze drifting toward the shadows where Percy was seated, talking with a few campers. "I don't even know if he wants to hear it."

Just then, Annabeth stormed over, her expression icy. "So, you're really going to sit here and talk about him?" she accused, arms crossed defiantly. "This isn't a pity party, Hermione. You broke his heart."

The campers' eyes shifted between the two girls, tension crackling in the air like static electricity. "I didn't mean to hurt him, Annabeth," Hermione replied, her voice steady. "But I was trying to protect him."

"Protect him? Or yourself?" Annabeth shot back, her voice dripping with disdain. "You think just because you have some connection to him, you belong here? Newsflash: You don't. You think he's better off without you? He's been miserable since you left."

Hermione felt her face flush with anger. "You don't own him, Annabeth. I'm here because I care about him, whether you like it or not."

Annabeth's eyes narrowed, her posture tense. "You think this camp is your playground? You think you can just come back whenever it suits you? You're nothing but a distraction for him, and you always will be."

With that, Annabeth turned away, leaving Hermione stunned in the wake of her harsh words. The fire crackled as she felt the stares of the other campers, their eyes reflecting a mixture of surprise and discomfort.

As the night wore on, the campfire stories shifted to tales of bravery and hope. But Hermione felt more detached than ever, the weight of her confrontation with Annabeth heavy in her chest. When the gathering finally came to an end, Annabeth stood up, drawing everyone's attention.

"Okay, everyone," she said, her voice firm. "I have something to say."

The campers quieted, their gazes fixated on her.

"Percy," she started, her heart racing. "We've been through so much together—more than I can even put into words. You've always been there for me, through thick and thin. But I've been so wrapped up in my own jealousy and insecurities that I haven't been honest with you."

Percy's brow furrowed, confusion etching his features as he looked at Annabeth. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about how I feel about you," she continued, her voice trembling but steady. "I've been in love with you for as long as I can remember. And when Hermione came into the picture, it felt like I was losing you. But instead of admitting it, I pushed you away."