Chapter 5 - Beginner Quest

I learned there were a few primary ways to gain experience: kill stuff, play in the wargames, discover new places, and complete quests. There were more ways, of course, but Val said I should focus on killing (easy) things and completing basic quests. The rest didn't provide enough experience to be worthwhile or would provide a lot of experience, but I'd probably die trying to do it.

I would start off small, hopefully with a fetch quest, a delivery, or something equally boring.

Val sent us hiking half a day away from the cave and the distant battlefield I had abandoned. It would have been a bad idea to go back there now. If I was forced to fight against my fellow humans again, I don't think I could do it knowing what I know now.

Unfortunately, I had been in that cave for hours and my horse had decided it had better places to be, so I had to walk.

Val's avatar was currently leading me to a small village where she thought I'd be able to find my first quest.

It made me wonder. "Hey Val, do you know where every NPC in the world is? Or just the Quest Givers?"

"I have access to all the records from Earth's reconstruction. Therefore, I have the name and starting location of every existing NPC. However, after four months, I cannot guess where they are now. My ability to track NPCs is localized, and I can only determine the identity of special NPCs, such as Quest Givers, vendors, or elevated NPCs like a town mayor or your king."

My heart skipped a beat. "Do you know who the NPCs were before the reconstruction?" If she did, I may be able to find Elena.

"I do not."

Just like that, my hope was extinguished. "But you knew who I was."

"You are not special. I did not know you were Milton or Ethan until I integrated with your cerebral cortex. Only then did I have access to your identity."

"So, you didn't, umm, select me?" Part of me hoped Val had chosen me, that I was predestined for this course.

"I did not make you wander into that cave, John. I will say that so far, you have proven to be a sufficient host."

A chill ran through me at her choice of words. Just when I was beginning to feel comfortable with Val, she reminded me that our relationship was more than transactional. It was parasitic.

"What about the dead Dalari?" I asked. "Was he a sufficient host? Did I mess up your plans when I killed him?"

"My intent has always been to integrate with a human. The Dalari you killed was unaware of my presence. He was merely a vessel of transport. It took longer than I had hoped to find a suitable human host, so I was relieved when you found me in the cave. If you had not come when you did, I could have become trapped in there. Physical travel can be difficult for me."

She had no problem traveling from the Dalari's brain into my own, but I didn't say that. "Well, I'm honored to be your chauffeur." I wasn't, but I was cautious about saying anything to the contrary.

My feet were sore by the time the village came into view. Val had access to the entire world map, while my personal map and those of other Players filled themselves in as we explored the world. Available quests weren't marked on the map, and there weren't any giant question marks over the heads of NPCs. They were discovered naturally as the Players interacted with the world. Val could apparently sense them, though. Parasite or not, having her as a guide was a significant advantage in this game.

The village consisted of perhaps fifteen buildings, all made from wood and most in disrepair. I received a notification as I approached. I mentally clicked on it.