AN ACCOUNT OF THE RESTING DAY

I was living out at an oasis in the desert with twenty-two other people. My brother Jundon was one of them and the others were from various places around our continent. And every morning we would ride out on camels to look for nine more.

“Thirty-two,” I said. “When the thirty-two have gathered, the King will come back.”

All of us were well versed in the prophecy by this time. The Grumans had taken over our countries, but the Great Spirit had promised us that He would come as the King once the thirty-two had gathered. The prophecy had also mentioned a leader, a prophet, a scribe, and also a warrior.

“Although it’s funny,” I mused. “Simron is still missing…and I would think the prophet would be here already. I suppose it was important for Ichoi to come here first…seeing as he’s the leader. And I guess I did too.”

I looked down at my stacks of paper. I was waiting for Pitru of Monlan to make more so I could continue writing. As the scribe, I was keeping an account of what was happening, mostly so future generations wouldn’t make the same mistakes our ancestors had. The warrior was also at the oasis and spent most of her time sparring with the men.

“You have passed,” she said to Samoscian. “Pass the sword on now…to the Man of the Wood.”

We were all rather curious about this, as Ty didn’t speak to any of the women and the warrior was female. But she bowed to him and he bowed in return before they started practicing. Ty remained silent but Ciju smiled as he watched the match.

“She’s really good. She’s teaching him by just letting him do it…instead of yapping on about it.”

“I also learn better in silence Ciju,” Ty said, swinging the sword.

“And keep in mind that you are after him,” the warrior grinned.

Ciju swallowed and after a time he had to spar with her as well. We had to do this every other day, and the girls would learn to use bows and arrows on the other days. But every seventh day, Ichoi made all of us take a break.

“According to the old laws,” he told us, “the Great Spirit commands a day of complete rest. It is also good to use that day to pray and worship Him.”

“But should we still ride out on the camels?” I asked.

“We can rest in two groups,” Ichoi said. “One group will do the work for the other while they are resting.”

“Besides that,” Groblar sighed, “it might be a long time before the others arrive. Bri and Wallia are all the way in Monatuba.”

“Riglo isn’t that far away,” Jojo said. “Although he and the other one need to get away from the army.”

“But what about Piku?” Jundon asked. “Do we know where she is?”

He looked at Samoscian when he asked this. Samoscian blinked but Pitru gave a smile.

“I’m not entirely sure,” he said. “Seems she’s somewhere hot…which has a lot of sand.”

Jundon gasped.

“She’s here?”

“More likely she’s in Carduan,” Samoscian smiled. “We need to be ready for when she arrives.”