AN ACCOUNT OF FOLLOWING TUNNELS

Bec found Kiki and Friju’s story rather interesting, especially with the vine suddenly appearing. They also explained as much as they could about the prophecy, the King, and the Great Spirit.

“I have a copy of the old laws,” Friju said, patting her own bag. “We passed the time reading them over and over…and Kiki done has them memorized.”

“Oh wow,” Bec said. “I guess you went to school before…”

“Nah I didn’t, " Friju laughed. “Just wound up hiding from Grumans in a library…and my black friend told me to keep this scroll. Didn’t even know what it was until I met the others…and Wallia taught me how to read it.”

Bec nodded.

“Good that you did.   I had a friend named Sun who believed in those things.  Her mom was a crazy prophet and told off the king…and also got her head cut off.  I had to hide Sun when the king was looking to kill her too.”

“Oh my,” Kiki cried. “What was it her mother said?”

“Mostly that the Grumans were coming…and we had to change our ways,” Bec said. “But she also said other funny things…like that Sun was going to be a queen…and I would too.”

Friju giggled.

“Makes me think of the black man in my dream. He said the same thing.”

Bec stared at her.

“The guy that had you save the laws?”

Friju laughed and told her about her other dreams about the black man.

“But see…every single time…he was right,” Friju said. “I hid in a library and never got caught, found Pitru and got a whistle, and also found Chaman who really needed some boots.”

“Wow,” Bec said. “But you weren’t sure he was real?”

“Not until he actually smiled,” Friju sighed. “Oh but his smile is so pretty. And then I saw it was because Ichoi and Leroi and Jojo were at the oasis…and they told him I was real too!”

Bec gasped and Kiki looked at her.

“That you were real?”

“Yes,” Friju giggled. “I never realized he could see me. But he calls me his laughing voice…and says I make him happy. That’s why he wants me to be his queen!”

Bec blinked.

“Of course. He’s the Prince of Carduan.”

Friju looked at her.

“Of Carduan?”

“Right,” Bec said. “A lot of people left Carduan and came here because their king was overthrown…and his son fled somewhere with his wife. The man in your dream is probably his son.”

Friju nodded.

“That would make sense. Wallia said he was likely a prince because he was wearing purple.”

“Oh,” Bec said. “I suppose the exiles did wear bright colors. And purple is a color for royal people.”

Friju giggled and looked at her.

“But you’re supposed to marry a prince too?”

“What Sun’s mom said,” Bec shrugged. “She said that Sun would marry a king…and so would I. But I don’t even know if Sun survived when the Grumans came.”

They wandered around in the sewers for some time, Bec popping out from time to time to see where they were and to get more food. She came down again one day and shook her head.