AN ACCOUNT OF A WEDDING PROCESSION

The group of them traveled for many more days in a direction they believed was north until the sewer system came to an abrupt halt. The tunnel ended with a wall of rock with a few picks and shovels lying around. Bec figured this was where the work on the sewers stopped and that they’d have to continue over land.

“I don’t know how we’re gonna go about it though,” she said. “We stand out too much…and I have a terrible sense of direction.”

“Well I still have some of this,” said Friju, taking out a bottle.

“I have some too,” said Piku, pulling out another one.

“What is it?” asked Bec.

“It makes your skin darker,” said Friju. “Pitru made this and gave some to each of us…just in case we had to dress like Grumans.”

“There’s not a whole lot of it,” said Bec, studying the bottle. “There’s five of us here…and he’s gonna need a lot.”

The giant gave a nod as Kiki sighed.

“I’ll never get to see my bridegroom at this rate.”

Bec looked at her and her eyes lit up.
“Of course! You’re brilliant.”

“I am?” asked Kiki.

“All of you wait here,” Bec said. “I have an idea.”

It was already dark so Bec ventured out of the sewer. The others waited in curiosity until she returned with several bundles of clothes.

“What are those?” asked Kiki.

“Bridal attire,” Bec said proudly, holding up a dress. “We’ll dress as a wedding procession.”

All of them looked at each other and back at Bec.

“A wedding procession?” Kiki asked.

“Yes,” Bec said. “The women in a wedding procession wear veils.”

She held up a short veil, which had strings to tie it in place.

“I traveled with one when my master’s sister got married,” Bec said. “We went through Clomang and I met that obnoxious red-head who told me about the sewers.”

She put a veil over her face, tying it in place with the strings.

“He didn’t know I was a slave until I took this off at the inn. And I wasn’t even using that ointment stuff.”

“So we all get to wear those?” Friju asked.

“Yes,” Bec smiled. “One of us will pose as the bride, and the others will be her attendants. My master was the escort for his sister, so that’s what our giant will do.”

Bec gestured to the large man as she said this and he gave a slow nod.

“He can use your ointment,” she said. “There should be enough for him…and we’ll just need to dye his hair. All we really need now is a donkey for the bride to ride on.”

“Brilliant,” said Friju. “Although we’d better have a destination in mind as to where we’re going, in case someone asks.”

Bec tapped her chin.

“Well we went through Clomang…on our way to Shantock. It’s by the sea though…and you want to go to the desert.”

“Right,” Friju said. “But I can’t remember the names of any of the cities around the lake.”

“Hmm,” Bec mused. “We could also say the wedding is in Carduan…and go to Shantock to get a boat.”

“Well…” Friju started.