NAMES

It's funny isn't it... how life just twists and turns in complicated patterns and rhythms. You think you have it all figured out until something hits you in the face and you're left laying on the ground, only to eventually stand up and see everything has changed and your plans were for nothing.

Life won't wait for you to figure things out and if it does, then you're way behind and it already has some thing else in store. It brings us the unexpected, the unexplained, the unpredictable and unsuspected twists that we only hear of until we're met with some type of ultimatum. A choice that will shake is to the core and haunt us forever.

Thankfully, that is not my case.

I have not yet experienced that. Yet.

No. Life gave me something special. Understand, I mean this in the most sarcastic manner. Life decided to make me a 5'2 stack of anger and irrational fears, topped with a sense of humour, sarcasm to take the edge off and a surprisingly kind personality with a face that says otherwise. Below all that lies a friend of mine deep down, nuzzled in its own warmth from the times it previously ventured out.

I wonder-

"Hey, Void. Focus." I look over to Soap. That smile of his, contagious. Playfully rolling my eyes, I straighten up in the seat and quirk my brow.

"You nervous?"

Shrugging, I tip my head to the side. I really don't know if I am nervous or not. That familiar tug and uncomfortable twist in my stomach only rises for a few seconds and then disappears.

"Kinda."

Smiling, he points to my headphones laying next to me. "Don't forget those when we land. We both know you'll be grumpy all week.
I grab and store them safely in my backpack, snuggled between my feet.

It's true. My headphones are one of few things I depend on for my sanity. Music is generally good to listen to no matter where you are. It makes things just a little easier to do and time go by a bit faster.
As I close up my bag, the pilot of the helicopter we've been riding in announces we're about to land.

"Alright, let's have you meet the squad." Soap grabs my bag and hops out as the helicopter touches ground. Taking a deep breath, I leave the metal bird and catch up to him.

Ahead of us, I spot Captian Price waiting patiently. I had met him once and the training camp I was allocated to. There we had a discussion and that discussion was what led me to be walking towards him this moment on his base.

"Void, glad to have you with us." He reaches out his hand, offering to shake, which I take with confidence and flash a quick smile.

"I'm gonna head out. See ya later, y/n." Soap jogs over to the base entrance and disappears around the corner.

"Well then, let's walk." I nod and pick up my backpack that I saw Soap had left on the ground. Swinging it over my shoulder, I follow the comfortable pace he walks. "I know it's a bit of a drastic change. With the schedules and training being different, not to mention you'll become familiar with a squad. I'll ask the guys to take it easy on you and help around."

I nod in acknowledgment.

"Any questions so far?"

"No. I'll let you know."

Entering the base and taking a turn, we walk down an empty hallway with a few doors on either side. Looking back, I notice the opposite hallway leads to few rooms that are immediately open. These doors are all closed.

"These are the rooms. Yours is at the end, second last. There's a separate bathroom for you to use, I've notified the guys to no longer use it as that will be yours." He reaches for the door knob as we approach my room. Upon opening the door, my eyes spot the cobwebs in the corner of the high window above my bed.
"Despite the rush of having you on the team, we failed to at least clean the place up a bit before you arrived."