Chapter 1 - Part II

Sasha, in a rush, went to the living room, picked up her little sister, ignoring the pain in her body, and took her to their bedroom, which had two beds: one double and the other smaller. Once inside, she shut the door behind her, set Anya down, then went towards the double bed, lay on the floor beneath it, and placed her hand into a small hole, pushing the wooden board that slid between the fixed wooden floor and the stone beneath, revealing the large hole they had built to hide in. She then grabbed Anya's hand, pushed her through the opening of the hideaway, crawled in herself, and sealed the hole. She held her younger sister tightly, making sure to keep silent.

  Meanwhile, in the living room, Anastasiya was trying to turn off the stove, the lights, and hide any signs that they had been at home so she could join her sisters. If their uncle suspected they were there, he would search for them and destroy anything that belonged to them, as well as take his anger out on them. However, she wasn't quick enough. As she was trying to turn off the television, Patrick stormed in through the door, muttering with an empty bottle of alcohol in hand, and the moment he saw her, he was furious.

  "So, you were peeping through the window to see when I'd arrive, weren't you, you stupid girl?" Patrick spat, throwing the bottle at her. She managed to dodge it and ran towards the bedroom, but it was too late—he grabbed her hair roughly. "Where's the money?"

  Anastasiya trembled with fear and pain. They had no money. He had spent all the money their mother had left and kept everything they received from support. She was terrified. Moreover, he was drunk and out of control, so she had no idea what he was capable of doing to her.

  "We don't have any," Anastasiya whimpered, the pain from her severe bruises from the day before and the hair-pulling making her cry out. "You spent it all."

  "Are you saying it's my fault? You wretched girl."

  Patrick turned her to face him and slapped her across the face, making her cry. After the first slap came another, and then another, and so on.

  Even though he was stronger and she was dazed, Anastasiya tried to break free and escape, but she knew she wouldn't manage it. Her face and body ached. She had no strength left. In truth, she only hoped her sisters were safe and unharmed.

  In the hideaway with Anya, Sasha, upon hearing her sister's cries and screams, knew she was hurt and realised she had to help her. She turned to her little sister and whispered:

  "Nya, I have to go help Nastya. You need to stay here, be quiet, and don't come out unless we come to get you."

  "No... no, Sash... don't leave me here... please," Anya sobbed, clinging to her sister's shirt with both hands, as if she were about to lose her.

  "Nya, Anastasiya is in danger; I have to help her." Sasha took the phone from the back pocket of her trousers and handed it to her. "You'll do what we've practised, remember?"

  "Call Brandon?"

  "Exactly. Call him and quietly tell him we're in danger and that we need him." Sasha took her sister's face in both hands and kissed her forehead. "You know what to do. I love you."

  Sasha left, closing the wooden panel, pulling a rug under the bed over the entrance to the hideaway so her uncle wouldn't find it. I have to help her, Sasha thought as she ran. When she reached the living room where they were, she froze in shock. Her uncle had his back to her and was holding her sister by the hair, hitting her across the face.

  Trembling and hearing her sister's cries, Sasha silently made her way to the kitchen, grabbed the frying pan from the stove, and returned to the living room, shouting: