{21} Everything's Okay Now.

~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~

My heart is beating out of my chest. I'm sure everyone is annoyed by the sound as my heightened sense of hearing hears the tires roll over the gravel road of the driveway. A certain pole of magnetic fields draws me out of my seat in the meeting room. Everyone watches me look down at Xavier who's eyes are already set on mine. 

"Why- I-" I'm stumbling over my words, suddenly going into a pre-shell shock state. "I don't know why I'm so nervous." Xavier stands from his seat, taking my face in his hands. "It's okay. You're okay. Just breathe."

The car door shut, and footsteps against gravel turn into footsteps on the wooden porch of the entrance. 

Xavier plants a kiss on the crown of my head before gesturing for everyone to follow us into the foyer. It's hard to tell myself there aren't actually weights chained at my feet and that this is real. 

Wake up I want to tell myself and spare myself from the heartbreak of seeing his face if this was a dream. 

We reach the foyer and I hold my breath as the door knob twists. Slowly, the door creaks open and at first, all I see is a black hoodie thrown over a head, but then his hand reaches up tugging it down. I see him.

A breath I've held since that day in the hospital is finally released, the biggest relief flooding over me. Invisible chains at my feet unlock like crushed leaves and I'm using my immortal speed to send myself into my brother's arms.

The force makes us stumble a few steps but Hayden catches balance for us as he holds me tightly. "You're alive. You're actually okay."  I weep out, tears starting to quickly rush down my face. Hayden's tears are not far behind, falling on my head as he plants a kiss on it. 

"I'm so sorry Davina. You have no clue how bad I wanted to come down here. I'm so fucking sorry that our parents are shit-" I lift my head, facing his pained face. "What? No- what- that's not your fault Hayden." 

I wipe tears from our faces and hug him again, this time even tighter because I swear he could disappear at any moment. "You're back. You came back to me and that means more than everything you think you caused." 

While I'm crushing him with my hold I hear a small whisper from Hayden indicating- I'm pretty positive- Xavier. "Thank you."

Thank you for taking care of her. 

I hear Xaviers whisper, "You don't have to thank me."

"Look at you," Hayden says with a soft scoff. "you did just fine without me, huh?" I shrug tilting my head. "The best I could do without my other half, but-" I turn to look at Jacob and Emma who I catch wiping tears from their faces like everyone else. "they were able to knock some basic human survival instincts into me eventually." Emma sends me a soft smile and Jacob shakes his head with a smirk.