Chapter 6

❀ ❀ ❀

Author's pov

❀ ❀ ❀

It had been five long, stressful days since that awkward meeting between the families. Trisha had barely had a moment to herself, with Prashanti and Sandhya in constant planning mode, buzzing around with decisions about decorations, guest lists, food, and all the other little details that seemed to be spiraling out of control. It felt like every phone call, every message, was another update about something or someone related to the engagement. Trisha's head was spinning, and the fact that the engagement outfits were already designed by Chandini didn't help ease her anxiety. The engagement was tomorrow, and everything was happening so fast.

For Trisha, work had become her sanctuary. Her small clinic, her escape. She threw herself into her sessions, finding comfort in helping her clients and momentarily forgetting about the whirlwind that her life had become. But that brief solace was shattered when her phone buzzed on the desk during her lunch break.

She glanced at the screen.

Vikram Ved Varma.

Her heart skipped a beat. Why was he calling? They had barely spoken since their tense meeting five days ago, where he'd laid out his cold terms. Trisha wasn't eager to talk to him, especially considering how indifferent and borderline hostile he had been. Bracing herself, she answered the call.

"Hello?" Her voice was careful, trying not to sound too eager or hesitant.

"Trisha." Vikram's voice was as sharp as ever, direct and no-nonsense. "I'm coming to pick you up right now."

She blinked, taken aback. "Wait, what?"

"Our parents decided we need to go buy the engagement rings today," he said, as if it was obvious. "The engagement is tomorrow, and this can't be delayed any longer. Send me your address, and make sure you're ready when I get there."

Trisha opened her mouth to speak, but before she could say a word, the line went dead. He had hung up. She stared at her phone, a mix of disbelief and frustration rising in her chest.

Seriously? No asking if she was free or if she had work. No questions about what she might prefer. Just an order, delivered in that cold, commanding tone of his.

She inhaled deeply, feeling the weight of her emotions threatening to overwhelm her. This wasn't how she'd imagined things would go. Sure, she hadn't expected a fairy tale romance, but this? This was just... miserable. She sighed, sending him her clinic address while her mind raced. What was she supposed to do now? How could she possibly go ring shopping with a man who clearly couldn't care less?

As she stood from her desk, packing away her things, her eyes drifted to the small motivational poster she had pinned on her wall—"Choose happiness." She nearly snorted at the irony. If only it were that simple.

She told her receptionist she was leaving early, and once again, the anxiety bubbled up in her chest. This was happening. Tomorrow, she'd be engaged to a man who made her feel like a stranger in her own life. As she waited for Vikram outside the clinic, her stomach knotted up. It wasn't even about the rings; it was the whole situation. How was she supposed to navigate this life, married to a man who saw her as nothing but an obligation?

A sleek black car pulled up, and there he was. Vikram stepped out, his expression unreadable, but his eyes, as always, were hard and distant. He wore a perfectly tailored suit, and for a fleeting moment, she almost thought he looked handsome. But the thought disappeared just as quickly as it came when she remembered how cold he'd been.