Chapter 8

❀ ❀ ❀

Author's Pov

❀ ❀ ❀

That night, Vikram paced around his apartment, his mind restless. He couldn't shake the image of Trisha barely touching her food earlier, her smile hiding something deeper. No matter how much he tried to brush it off, it gnawed at him, making it impossible to focus on anything else.

Finally, with a determined sigh, he picked up his phone and texted Pranav.

Vikram: What's Trisha's favorite food?

A few seconds later, his phone buzzed.

Pranav: Now, why do you wanna know that? Planning to woo my sister already?

Vikram clenched his jaw, rolling his eyes. Not in the mood for this, Pranav. Just tell me.

Pranav's reply was playful as usual. What's the magic word? Maybe I'll tell you. Or maybe I won't.

Vikram, already frustrated, shot back, Pranav, I swear if you don't tell me in the next 10 seconds—

Another message interrupted his threat.

Pranav: Relax, relax. She likes anything spicy. Paneer especially. And if you really wanna make her day, grab some vanilla ice cream. That's the secret.

Vikram didn't bother replying. Instead, he grabbed his keys and headed out. He wasn't just going to grab some takeout. If he was going to do this, he was going to do it right.

He was going to cook it for her.

A little while later, Vikram stood in his kitchen, sleeves rolled up, chopping onions and tomatoes with surprising precision. Cooking wasn't something he did often, but he had learned a few things over the years. Tonight, though, was different.

As the kitchen filled with the smell of spices and sizzling paneer, Vikram's mind wandered. This wasn't just about food. It was about showing Trisha that he was paying attention, that he cared, even if he wasn't sure how to express it in words. Once the food was ready, he packed it neatly into containers, along with a tub of vanilla ice cream he'd picked up on the way home.

❀ ❀ ❀

Standing outside Trisha's house, Vikram felt a little ridiculous. He was about to toss rocks at her window like some teenage boy trying to sneak into his girlfriend's room. But he had no choice; he didn't want to wake her parents.

He looked up at the window, figuring it was hers, and started tossing small pebbles. He waited. Nothing.

Another pebble. Still nothing.

Frustration mounting, Vikram kept tossing, harder this time. Finally, a window creaked open.

But instead of Trisha, it was Pranav, rubbing his eyes and squinting down at him.

"Vikram?" Pranav's voice was groggy. "What the hell, man? Why are you throwing rocks at my window at midnight?"

Vikram froze, feeling a surge of embarrassment. He had been throwing rocks at the wrong window. He clenched his fists, muttering under his breath.

Of course.

Of course, it had to be Pranav's window.

"Just... get Trisha," Vikram snapped, trying to regain his composure.

Pranav, barely stifling a laugh, leaned on the window ledge. "You've got it bad, man. Can't believe you're throwing rocks like this for my sister."

"Pranav," Vikram growled, "I'm not in the mood."