Only you

Chapter 18

As the evening progressed, Victor effortlessly made small talk with a few board members who had approached him. They praised him for the recent acquisition, the success of the masquerade ball, and the noticeable profit increases over the past few quarters. He nodded, his responses brief and calculated, though his gaze frequently shifted toward Eve. Though she appeared calm and collected, there was a sense of isolation to her posture, something Victor noticed immediately. Despite the commanding presence she projected, Victor could sense her unease amidst the spectacle.

Eve stood at Victor's side, keeping her posture poised and refined, her mask concealing the uneasiness gnawing at her. As much as she tried to appear as though she belonged, the atmosphere felt suffocating. Her role in orchestrating the event, her position by Victor's side—it all seemed surreal. Her eyes swept the room, scanning the faces in the crowd, when she noticed Gabriel slowly making his way toward them. His expression was a mix of surprise and confusion, clearly unprepared for the sight of her so closely bound to Victor.

Before Gabe could reach them, Victor, sensing his approach, acted swiftly. Without a word, he placed his hand firmly on Eve's waist and, with a possessive but graceful pull, led her onto the dance floor. The crowd, sensing something extraordinary, instinctively parted for them, giving the pair a wide berth. The hired dancers, as if rehearsed, moved aside with an ethereal grace, creating a scene that looked both intimate and grand.

Victor's hold on Eve was strong, dominant, and protective as they began to move. His hand pressed against the small of her back, guiding her in time with the slow, haunting music that filled the ballroom. His lips brushed her ear as he whispered, "Mine." The possessiveness in his voice sent a shiver down her spine, the weight of the word sinking deep into her chest. It was a reminder of her place by his side tonight—and perhaps more.

The onlookers watched in awe, enchanted by the spectacle. To them, it was as if the King and Queen of Hell had taken to the floor, their powerful presence undeniable. Around them, the hired dancers moved like shadows, their flowing costumes blending into the darkness, weaving in and out around Victor and Eve in perfect synchronization, making it seem as though the entire performance had been meticulously choreographed rather than spontaneous. The ethereal nature of the dance amplified the intensity, giving it a dreamlike quality that left the audience breathless.

Victor's eyes never left Eve's, and even as the dance moved in sweeping, grand motions, his touch remained possessive and sure, like he was staking a claim on her for all to see. Eve, despite the turmoil brewing inside her, allowed herself to be swept away by the moment. For the first time, she realized that this was exactly what Victor had promised—a spectacle, a night where they would reign like gods. And at this moment, they did.

As the final notes of the music played out, the crowd erupted into applause. But all Eve could hear was the echo of Victor's whispered words, and the unspoken promise that came with them.

After the dance ended, the crowd's applause still ringing in their ears, Eve felt the weight of the evening pressing down on her. She needed air, somewhere to escape the intensity of it all. Sensing her restlessness, Victor gently guided her away from the throng of guests, navigating toward the balcony that overlooked the moonlit gardens. The moment they stepped outside, the cool night air hit her face, a welcome relief from the stifling atmosphere inside.

Victor poured them both a drink, removing his mask and setting it aside. His sharp features, now unhidden, looked more intense under the soft glow of the moonlight. Eve followed suit, taking a small sip of her drink as she leaned against the balcony's railing, trying to compose herself. The distant sound of laughter and music from the ballroom filtered out through the open doors, but here, in the secluded space, the world felt distant—just the two of them.