Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Thou shall not anger the King

As dusk fell over the kingdom, the two sat by the well, the golden light of the setting sun casting long shadows on the cobblestone path. Rosalind squeezed the towel soaked in water from the well and carefully wiped the wound scratches on Amaris's palms.

"I heard them talking about you since yesterday," Rosalind said, her voice steady yet concerned. "They said you had nothing to do, but I told them you've been with me, cleaning and doing the tasks assigned to us."

Amaris groaned at Rosalind's words, rolling her eyes dramatically. "I've been bullied all my life. This is nothing new to me! But seeing you get hurt? Ha! The audacity!" she grumbled, trying to act tough. She smacked her own fist into her palm, but the movement made her flinch as pain shot through her.

"Behave, Amaris. Your nose is still bleeding. Did you hit your head somewhere?" Rosalind asked, frowning as she cleaned the towel again.

"I think I did when they pushed me," Amaris mumbled, her bravado faltering for a moment.

Just as Rosalind was about to wipe the blood from Amaris's nose, the echoes of metal boots clanging on stone startled them. A group of palace guards marched toward them, flanked by one of the maids who had bullied them earlier.

"That one!" the maid shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at Amaris. "She was the one who stole the Duke's handkerchief!"

Panic surged through Amaris as two guards stepped forward, grabbing her arms firmly. Another guard approached, beginning to search her. The sound of fabric rustling filled the air, and soon he produced the handkerchief from one of her pockets.

"It's true. The Duke's emblem is embroidered in the lining. Take her away!" the lead guard commanded, and the two holding Amaris began to drag her away.

"No! Stop! She didn't do anything wrong!" Rosalind cried out, her heart racing as she tried to reach for Amaris. But Amaris struggled against the guards' iron grip, her pulse quickening with fear. She felt a knot of terror tighten in her stomach for the first time since her arrival in the kingdom.

The maid who had accused her smirked, her satisfaction evident as she watched the scene unfold.

"Stop! Please! I didn't do anything wrong! Stop!" Amaris begged, desperation flooding her voice. But her cries fell on deaf ears. The head guard, frustrated by her protests, slapped her across the face, shocking Amaris into silence, leaving her frozen and limp as she was dragged toward the execution ground—a place utterly unfamiliar to her.

Kneeling in front of a wooden table, her hands spread wide, Amaris could feel the weight of dread pressing down on her. The guards held her tightly, preventing any escape.

"For stealing a noble's property, with evidence found, you shall receive sixty-five lashes to both hands!" the lead guard announced, his voice booming.

Rosalind gasped from the guarded entrance of the execution ground, her eyes wide with horror. "No! Amaris!" she shouted, but her voice was lost in the chaos as the punishment began mercilessly.

One lash. Amaris hitched in pain, her breath hitching as she fought to keep her composure. Rosalind flinched, closing her eyes as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Count! Slave!" the guard barked, and Amaris gritted her teeth against the pain.

"...one..." she counted, her voice trembling but resolute, echoing the agony that coursed through her.

The second lash came swiftly, and Amaris gasped, her body jerking involuntarily as she fought to maintain control. The sharp sting seared through her hands, but she held back her cries, unwilling to show weakness.