Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Lapdog

As the carriage doors swung open, sunlight streamed into the small space, and Amaris instinctively flinched, blinking against the sudden brightness. But then, the sight outside made her stomach churn. On the left, a line of lady servants stood in perfect formation, their heads bowed in deference, with their head handmaiden poised at the front. On the right, soldiers were lined up with their chins held high, their swords grounded but ready, as if silently affirming their king's presence.

Alaric stepped out first, every movement fluid and controlled. The sun caught his striking blue eye, making it gleam like polished steel. He commanded attention effortlessly, and Amaris could already see how Rosalind's eyes widened in awe at his figure, her breath caught at the sight of him.

No... Amaris thought as her heart began sinking. He's the reason you're going to die. Don't fall in love with him, Rosalind.  I won't let it happen. I will do everything—anything—to stop your bitter end. She clenched her fists and put on a brave face at the mission she had just put herself in.

Before she could make further plans, Rosalind stepped out after Alaric while her gaze remained fixed on him. Amaris followed quickly after the two with her eyes lingering on Alaric in a determined and stern way. The moment her feet touched the ground, she caught the uneasy stares of the servants and soldiers alike. The weight of their judgment bore down on her, but she couldn't afford to care.

Ugh, even in this world I'm already bullied?

The two women trailed behind Alaric in the midst of the tense atmosphere. The servants and soldiers formed ranks behind them, falling into a synchronized march as they moved deeper into the palace grounds, every step echoing a future Amaris was determined to rewrite.

Amaris had been so consumed by her thoughts—plotting, scheming, and imagining every possible way to keep Rosalind and Alaric from growing attached—that she hadn't noticed they'd already reached the inner palace. The grand elegance of the palace's entrance doors stood tall before them, but her mind was elsewhere. The soldiers and servants who had marched behind them came to a halt at the command, waiting obediently by the massive, ornately carved doors.

Alaric suddenly stopped in his tracks, as did Rosalind. But Amaris, too lost in her thoughts, kept walking and unintentionally bumped into Rosalind, who stumbled and bumped into Alaric. The king turned with a sharp glare, his irritation evident. Amaris's eyes widened in horror as she gasped, immediately stepping in front of Rosalind in a protective stance, her chin lifted in defiance.

"It's my fault! Sorry! Not hers!" Amaris declared, her voice surprisingly bold as she shifted to shield Rosalind behind her.

Alaric's brow twitched in annoyance, his gaze narrowing as he studied the scene before him. Then, with an icy calm, he spoke, "Lady Beaumont, from today onwards, you will no longer be treated as a noblewoman but as a servant." His voice was cold, and his eyes held none of the warmth Rosalind had hoped for.

Amaris blinked, taken aback by his statement. He continued, addressing Rosalind with an air of indifference Amaris hadn't anticipated, "You will serve in this palace and be under the instruction of the palace's head servant."

With that, Alaric turned to walk away, leaving Amaris standing in stunned silence. But something in her snapped.

"Wait. That's it? What about me?" Amaris blurted out, confused. She hadn't expected to be ignored entirely. Alaric paused, his back still to her, his shoulders rising as he took a deep, almost exasperated breath. Then, abruptly, he turned around, his gaze sharp and deadly as he took several swift steps towards her.