Chapter 2

Chapter 2: The Heartbreak

When Selene was finally released from work, she quickly rushed out of the building while her heart raced with the desire to binge-read her books. She longed to escape into the familiar comfort of her favorite stories, where reality faded and adventure beckoned. But as she walked past the various establishments lining the street, her gaze fell upon the local bookstore.

She bit her lip thinking, torn between her love for reading and her dwindling allowance. 

Just one book wouldn't hurt, right? She hesitated, mentally calculating how much she could spare. Before she could make her final decision, her feet had already started walking toward the entrance of the bookstore, as if possessed by a force greater than her resolve.

As soon as she stepped inside, the atmosphere wrapped around her like a warm hug. The scent of aged paper and fresh ink filled the air, and her demeanor shifted almost instantly. Here, she was no longer the quiet coffee girl. Among the shelves of countless stories, she transformed into a confident book lover, ready to explore every corner of this literary sanctuary.

Selene began to scan the towering bookshelves as  her eyes sparkled with excitement. She adjusted her glasses, focusing intently on the spines that lined the shelves that intrigued her. It didn't matter if the books were underrated or bestselling; they were all hers to discover.

"Maybe just a quick look," she whispered to herself, feeling the thrill of possibility. She started browsing through the fantasy section, her fingers brushing against the spines as she moved down the row.

"Selene!" a voice suddenly called from behind her, pulling her out of her reverie. She turned to see Clara, a friendly face from the bookstore staff. Clara had always been supportive of Selene's passion for reading, often recommending new titles. "You're here again! Found anything good?"

"Just browsing," Selene replied, trying to suppress a grin. "You know me—can't resist a good book."

"Haha, that's so you. By the way, come with me." Clara invited, leading her toward the cashier counter. "I believe this is your book."

Clara pulled out a familiar cover, and Selene's heart sank as she recognized it instantly—The Tyrant's Child.

"Wait, how did it get here? I didn't bring that book with me," she exclaimed, baffled. She had left the book tightly shut in her room with a bookmark slipped a few pages from the end.

Selene chuckled at the impossibility. "I think you're mistaken."

But Clara shrugged, her expression teasing. "But your name's in it. Even I don't remember you buying this premium edition. The cover is exquisite and shiny." She held the book up, and the light caught the gilded edges, making it glimmer enticingly.

Selene's eyes widened as she reached for the book, her fingers grazing over the luxurious cover. "I... I didn't buy this," she stammered, still trying to comprehend how it had ended up here. "I was just thinking about it earlier, but I didn't purchase this premium one!"

"Is that so? Well then, take it anyway. Maybe it's a gift," Clara said with a teasing smile. "I couldn't possibly sell it again since your name's engraved on the cover."

Selene's eyes widened in shock. "Engraved??? Who would dare do that to such a good book?" she exclaimed, horrified at the thought of someone defacing her precious read.

Before Clara could respond, a group of high school students walked toward the cashier, animatedly discussing something that made Selene's heart skip a beat.