Fist and Fire

The sun wasn't up yet, but I was. Or at least, I would've been, if Regis hadn't barged in with his usual theatrics.

"Wake up, pup!" His voice was way too loud for the early hour. "If you sleep any longer, I'll tell Sylvie you were dreaming about becoming the next Archon."

I groaned, rolling over in bed. "What dream?"

"I'll make one up," he shot back, pulling the blanket off me in one swift motion. "Something dramatic and embarrassing—just how I like it."

Reluctantly, I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "You know, some people let others wake up on their own."

"Not me," Regis grinned, arms crossed. "Besides, today's a big day. You get to meet your new teacher. Or have you forgotten already?"

I hadn't. Regis had told me yesterday that I'd be training under an Ashura—Phoenix, Chul Asclepius. Even with everything I knew about the Ashura, the idea of training under one still felt surreal.

"I didn't forget," I muttered, standing up. "But you could've let me sleep a bit longer. It's not like he's leaving."

"Not my style, pup," Regis said with a smirk. "Besides, Sylvie, Anabelle, and your new teacher are already downstairs having a nice chat. Wouldn't want you to keep them waiting."

As he said that, I caught the sound of voices from the kitchen—Sylvie's calm voice, Anabelle's excited chatter, and a deep, steady voice I didn't recognize. My curiosity flared.

"So, you're really throwing me into the fire with an Ashura, huh?" I asked, stretching out my stiff limbs.

"You bet," Regis replied, his grin widening. "And I've got to say, it's going to be fun watching you try to keep up."

As Regis and I descended the stairs, the scent of breakfast welcomed us, but it was the muffled conversation that caught my attention. Sylvie, Anabelle, and that unfamiliar voice I now knew belonged to Chul were chatting at the kitchen table. I could feel my heartbeat quicken with anticipation. This was no ordinary training; this was with an Ashura, a being who could turn the world upside down with just a flick of his wrist.

"Let me give you a heads-up, pup," Regis said with a grin, walking beside me. "Chul's... well, he's something. He can go from dead serious to unpredictable in the blink of an eye. You'll see what I mean. But trust me, you'll like him."

I raised an eyebrow, trying to imagine what sort of person this legendary figure might be. "Unpredictable, huh?"

"Oh yeah," Regis chuckled. "One moment, he'll be reciting poetry. The next, he's ready to punch a hole through a mountain. It's a... charming mix."

As we stepped into the kitchen, my eyes went straight to the man sitting at the table. Chul Asclepius was impossible to miss. Broad-shouldered, barrel-chested, with an air of controlled power about him, he looked every bit the warrior I expected. His orange hair, streaked with purplish smoke, gave him an almost ethereal glow in the soft morning light. But what really stood out were his eyes—one a blazing volcanic orange, the other a piercing icy blue.

"Well, well, the young protégé has finally graced us with his presence!" Chul's voice boomed with surprising energy, his hands gesturing dramatically as he turned to face me. "Regis here has spoken quite highly of you. I admit, I am most intrigued to see if you live up to his... glowing endorsements."

I blinked, momentarily taken aback by the contrast between his lively tone and his poised, almost regal manner of speech. "I'm Reynolds," I said, trying to sound composed despite the whirlwind energy he projected. "Thank you for taking the time to train me."