Man I Want to Become

The wind was sharp at the peak of Mount Geolus, but I barely noticed it anymore. Sitting cross-legged on a flat rock, I focused on drawing mana into my core. The air in Epheotus was rich with it—more than I had ever experienced back in Dicathen. Each breath I took brought more mana into me, refining my core, making me stronger.

Regis was busy training Anabelle, and I had time to myself. Lady Sylvie would take over my training soon, but for now, I focused on this. I could feel the light yellow core just within reach. A few more push, maybe. I wasn't rushing it, though. I had learned not to push too hard after what happened with the Aether Orbs.

That place... those endless fights... I had almost lost myself. It was hard to shake the memories, the feeling of being trapped in a cycle of battle and death. But I wasn't there anymore. Now, I had to focus on refining my core, making sure I stayed in control. Power without control meant nothing.

The mana here was pure, flowing into me with little effort. It was helping me heal, not just physically but mentally. I wasn't the same after everything that had happened, but I was putting myself back together, bit by bit. I didn't need to be anyone else—not Arthur. Just me.

The wind continued to howl around me, but I stayed still, pulling the mana in, shaping it, letting it strengthen me.

I was getting closer. Soon, I'd break through to the light yellow core.

The air around me hummed with energy as I sat on the stone, still and focused. The mana in Epheotus was thick, almost alive, and I could feel it gathering in my core with every breath I took. There was a shift, a sensation deep within me—a breakthrough. 

I wasn't Arthur. I'd made peace with that. I didn't need to live in his shadow. I was Reynolds, and that was enough. Regis had made sure I saw that, and I believed it.

As the mana swirled in my core, I stood up slowly. The energy coursing through me was almost electric. I lifted my hand and summoned water, watching as it spiraled effortlessly from my palm. Then fire—hot and bright, crackling in the air. I shifted to air, feeling the breeze whip around me, then to earth, the ground beneath my feet responding to my will. Gravity pulled at the world around me, and a hum of sound filled the space, vibrating through the rocks.

Each spell felt stronger, sharper. There was a thrill in knowing I was growing, becoming more powerful with each passing moment. I couldn't help but smile.

I pulled my sword from my dimension ring, the weight of it familiar in my hand. Without hesitation, I moved, combining my spells with the sword, letting the elements dance around me as I struck and parried against the invisible foe. Water splashed, fire roared, the air howled around me, and the ground cracked underfoot. Gravity shifted with each movement, and the hum of sound guided my strikes.

My heart raced with excitement. The power was intoxicating.

After a few more moments, I sheathed the sword back into the dimension ring. But I wasn't done. I dropped into a fighting stance, my fists clenched, and began to move through hand-to-hand combat forms. My strikes were fluid, precise, each one backed by the mana flowing through me. It felt good—too good. The thrill of power surged, the same thrill I had felt in the Aether Orb.

I stopped, breathing hard. That familiar edge, the one that had nearly consumed me before, was creeping back. The desire to push further, to lose myself in the fight.

No. Not again.

I straightened up, forcing my breathing to slow, my heart to settle. I couldn't let that happen. I had to stay in control. I couldn't risk hurting those I cared about—Regis, Anabelle, Sylvie. Becoming stronger meant nothing if I lost myself in the process.