Training Regimen

The morning sun was just beginning to rise as I made my way to the usual training spot. The cool breeze brushed against my face, carrying the crisp scent of the forest around me. As always, Regis was already there, waiting with his arms crossed and that ever-present look of impatience.

I approached him, feeling the weight of the new sword at my side. The black blade gleamed in the early light, the rubies set into the hilt catching the sun in a way that made the weapon feel even more impressive than it had the night before.

Regis's eyes immediately zeroed in on the sword, and I braced myself for whatever comment he was about to make.

"Well, well, well," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "What do we have here? A new toy? Let me guess, your dad sold the house to buy that thing?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Not quite, but it did cost a small fortune."

Regis grinned, dark humor flaring in his eyes. "Ah, right. I forgot you Helsteas sleep on money. Must be nice."

I smirked, rolling my eyes. "We don't, but it was definitely an expensive gift."

Regis leaned closer, inspecting the rubies embedded in the sword's hilt. "Well, at least you've got taste. Unlike Arthur, I've always preferred rubies over emeralds. Emeralds are so... ordinary."

I blinked, confused. "Arthur?"

Regis waved his hand dismissively. "Ah, never mind. You wouldn't understand. Just an old joke."

I shrugged, still puzzled but not wanting to push it further. Regis had a habit of making strange references to his past with Arthur, and I'd learned that it was best not to ask too many questions.

"Anyway, enough about your shiny new sword," Regis said, shifting gears. "Things are going to be different from now on. You've got a lot of potential, but it's time we get serious."

I raised an eyebrow, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. "What's the plan?"

Regis's eyes narrowed, and I could already tell he was about to push me harder than ever before. "We're going to structure your training from now on. For the first hour, you'll focus on mana rotation—nothing else. You need to master that if you're going to survive in this world."

I nodded, my mind already shifting to the challenge ahead. Mana rotation was difficult, but I knew it was essential.

"After that," Regis continued, "we're going to spend the next few hours on swordplay. That fancy weapon of yours won't do you any good if you can't wield it properly. I'm going to make sure you know how to handle it."

He took a step closer, his expression hardening. "And for the last hour, after I've worn you down to the bone, we'll go back to mana rotation. You'll be exhausted, but that's when it matters most. You need to learn how to push through, even when you're on the verge of collapsing."

I swallowed hard, realizing just how intense this new regimen was going to be. But I also felt a surge of determination. This was what I needed—what I wanted. To grow stronger. To protect the people I cared about.

"Got it," I said, gripping the handle of my sword. "Let's do this."

Regis smirked again, clearly pleased with my answer. "Good. Now stop standing there and start rotating that mana. You've got an hour."

I closed my eyes, focusing on the sensation of mana flowing through my core. The familiar pull of mana rotation had become easier over time, but today, something felt different—better. The technique clicked, and for the first time, I managed to move both of my hands while still drawing mana from the surrounding environment. A smile crept onto my face, knowing that all those nights practicing before bed were paying off.