THIRTEEN

MILAN - PRESENT DAY

Sienna barely registered the rhythmic click of her heels echoing against the polished marble floor as she pushed through the door into the ladies' restroom

Sienna barely registered the rhythmic click of her heels echoing against the polished marble floor as she pushed through the door into the ladies' restroom. Her mind was singularly focused on one thing—getting the champagne stains out of her dress before they set in. The soft hum of ambient music floated through the air, blending seamlessly with the gleaming elegance of the space. Soft lighting highlighted the pristine mirrors and lavish gold accents, giving the room an aura of luxurious calm. But Sienna felt none of it, her movements purposeful as she strode toward the sink, the rich fabric of her black dress rustling faintly with each step.

Her fingers were already working, pulling paper towels from the dispenser with a swift, fluid motion. She began dabbing furiously at the champagne-streaked hem, her brow furrowed with concentration, muttering quietly under her breath. Her entire focus was locked onto the task in front of her, the world outside reduced to a distant blur.

So much so that she didn't notice the soft creak of the restroom door swinging open behind her.

"Sienna."

The low, familiar voice reverberated through the quiet space, sending an electric jolt up her spine. Her heart stuttered in surprise, and she froze mid-motion, fingers halting over the damp fabric. Slowly, almost cautiously, she turned, her breath catching in her throat.

There, standing in the doorway like he belonged in the most inappropriate place imaginable, was Bucky Barnes. His broad figure filled the space, his presence demanding attention without uttering a word. The elegant surroundings seemed to dull in comparison to the sharp intensity of his gaze, trained solely on her. His expression remained unreadable, yet there was something about the way his eyes locked onto hers that sent a flush of heat through her body.

The sight of him standing there, so brazenly unfazed, caught her entirely off guard. For a beat, she couldn't find her voice, the sheer absurdity of the moment clashing with the undeniable tension simmering beneath the surface.

Her lips parted, a delayed reaction to the shock. "This is the ladies' room, Barnes," she muttered, attempting a dry edge to her voice, though she could hear the tremor of surprise lurking beneath it. Her gaze darted around the space, noticing, for the first time, the two other women lingering near the sinks. Both paused mid-action, their eyes flicking curiously between the two of them, as if sensing the charged atmosphere.

With a glance exchanged between them, they discreetly made their way out, leaving the room empty—except for her and him.

Sienna's heart pounded in her chest as she met his gaze again, her fingers still clutching the damp paper towel. A thousand unspoken words seemed to hang between them, the weight of his attention making her pulse quicken. "You know, there are boundaries, even for bodyguards," she continued, trying to regain some semblance of control, but her voice came out softer, the challenge more playful than she intended.