An instant bond...

As I slowly open my eyes, the bright morning sunlight streams in, waking me up with a mix of worry and fear

As I slowly open my eyes, the bright morning sunlight streams in, waking me up with a mix of worry and fear. Today is the day when the boy's family is coming to see Kavya di, and I have a mountain of tasks to complete. I quickly freshen up in the washroom and put on a sky-blue Anarkali suit, trying to forget my exhaustion.

As I start decorating the house, my stomach growls with hunger, but the thought of my mother’s anger keeps me from eating. I’ve been trying to avoid her displeasure for a whole week; I shouldn’t upset her again. The sweet fragrance of flowers fills my hands, but my heart is heavy with anxiety.

Once I finish the decorations, my mother calls me with a firm tone, though I can feel her hope too. "See if Kavya di is ready." My hungry stomach protests, but I lack the courage to say anything; I'm afraid of her anger. Just a stern look from her is enough to silence me.

I head to Kavya di’s room, but she isn’t there. A small jolt of worry hits my heart. Where could she be? I rush to the hall to ask my mother for help, but what I see stops me in my tracks.

My mother lovingly applies a black dot behind Kavya di’s ear, a protective charm against evil spirits. Tears well up in my eyes as I witness this sweet moment, and I feel the absence of that same love and care that is only for my sister.

In my mother's words, filled with love, I felt a deep wound. "Soon, you will become the queen of Jodhpur, and our lives will be filled with happiness." She gave Kavya di a warm hug, a feeling I had never experienced before.

Inside me, there was a mix of hatred and sadness, a familiar pain. My mother had never spoken to me with such love or warmth. Since childhood, her hatred and indifference had been a part of my life, intensified by my father's neglect.

Kavya di understood my longing for connection, thinking I sought her comforts. But I tried to explain that I didn't want those things; I just wanted a sister, a relationship, and a sense of belonging.

What was her response? Complaining to my mother that I was bothering her, without even listening to my side. My mother's reaction? A slap from her hand, the burn of a hot iron rod, the mark still lingers on my skin.

The memories come flooding back, tightening around my throat. I knew she didn't care for me. This wasn't love; it was a cruel joke. She hated me. Why? What had I done to deserve such harshness?

Sometimes, in the darkness, I wondered: Am I really her daughter? Or just a mistake, a burden?

I made a brave face, hiding the pain inside. I cleared my throat and announced my presence, putting a smile on my lips.

Kavya di looked at me with eyes shining with anger. Maa yeh kab humara peecha chhodegi?? (Mom, when will she stop bothering us?)she complained.

Mom's gaze was cold and a bit proud. Jald hi beta.. (Soon, dear) she reassured Kavya di, her tone filled with love.