chapter 10

The pulsing light intensified, enveloping Skath, Lyra, and Nerys in a spiral of energy. The stone dragon stood before them, its fierce gaze reflecting the deepest fears of the three young warriors. An echo of roars reverberated through the cave as the air buzzed with tension.

"Prepare to face your fears," said the dragon, its voice booming like thunder. "Only by confronting what torments you can you approach the crystal."

Skath took a deep breath, trying to calm his wildly beating heart. Malakar was his shadow, and now he had to face the embodiment of his fears. The dragon raised a claw and, with a powerful strike, unleashed a wave of dark energy that surged toward them.

"Watch out!" Lyra shouted, pushing Skath and Nerys into a corner as the wave passed. "We need to work together!"

The light from Nerys’ orb flickered for a moment, but she refocused, summoning a new beam of light that illuminated the cave. The shadows retreated, but the stone dragon did not stop. With a flick of its tail, it struck the ground, causing the cave to shake and cracks to form in the floor.

Skath drew his blade, the gleaming metal reflecting the light. "Let's go!" he exclaimed, charging toward the dragon, with Lyra and Nerys following, ready to fight.

The dragon roared, its breath hissing like a tempestuous wind. "Face your fears, and you will have the power to destroy mine!"

Suddenly, the shadows in the cave began to take shape, dancing and stoking terror. Skath found himself face to face with an illusion of Malakar, a shadow of what he once was. His face was twisted, and his malevolent smile seemed to come to life.

"Do you think you can defeat me, Skath?" the illusion sneered, moving fluidly. "You are nothing but a reflection of the past. You don’t have the power to fight what’s inside you!"

"You are nothing but a lie!" Skath responded, striking the shadow with his blade. The illusion dissipated, but the battle had only just begun. Beside him, Lyra was facing her own shadows: the fear of abandonment, the feeling of helplessness.

"I’m not weak!" Lyra shouted, dancing gracefully as her knife cut through the air. Each strike she landed on Malakar’s shadow made her stronger, more determined.

On the other side, Nerys cast spells that lit up the cave, creating barriers of light to protect her friends. "Don’t let them catch you off guard!" she exclaimed, her magical power sparkling between her hands. "Fight with everything you’ve got!"

With each strike and every spell, the light expanded, driving the shadows back. Skath felt stronger, united with Lyra and Nerys in a dance of combat that echoed through the cave. Malakar’s fear was fading, replaced by the determination to protect what they loved.

"We need to get to the crystal!" Skath shouted as the stone dragon retreated, impressed by their resolve. "The only way to defeat Malakar is to obtain the crystal’s power!"

But the dragon would not give up so easily. With a mighty motion, it lifted its head and spewed a jet of flames that lit up the entire cave. The flames danced like fiery serpents, threatening to engulf everything they touched.

Lyra dashed forward, arms spread wide as a barrier of light formed around her. "I can't let this happen!" she exclaimed, her eyes glowing with determination. The barrier expanded, shielding Skath and Nerys from the assault.

"Hit the crystal!" Nerys ordered, her voice steady. "It’s the only way to stop this!"

With a burst of speed, Skath headed toward the crystal, his feet slipping on the wet stone. But a shadow rose between him and his goal: Malakar, in all his malevolence. "You will have nothing, Skath!" he snarled, his jaws opening to reveal razor-sharp teeth.