45

   Tears fell like rain down Karina's face as she stood there, her heart shattered into a million pieces.

"Winter?" she whispered softly, hardly daring to speak the words. Her voice quaked with question, almost begging for any answer from the girl she was so wildly in love with.

But Winter, before her, glaring, those cold eyes moving beyond hatred into the orbs of Karina's soul, crashing through waves of panic.

Her nightmare seemed to come true.

"Why do you cry?" Winter's voice was far, cold, and Karina hastily wiped her tears, sniff, completely not knowing what to say. The silence in the room was unbearable - each of the seconds that Winter didn't say something caused constrictions again in Karina's chest.

Winter let out a deep sigh and looked her straight in the face, serious. "Where is my welcome kiss?"

Karina blinked. Then she blinked again, this time with confusion crossing her eyes. She stared at Winter, wondering if this was another one of her cruel jokes played out on her.

But then with Winter's softening gaze, she hit bottom hard.

Unthinking, Karina's fists smashed towards Winter, pounding her shoulders and chest as she yelled out that voice cracking, "You're the worst! How could you do that to me?!!"

Winter flinched under the slaps, grimacing, but not feeling it.

"Ow, ow!" she groaned, lightly catching at Karina's wrists as a wide grin crossed her face. A warmth in her eyes was a betrayal of her incandescent teasing playfulness - just that very sparkle Karina had always known.

Karina stepped back and crossed her arms against her chest, surveying through the window the yard of its backyard. Her cheeks flushed deep red, anger and relief storming through her very breathless. But she felt it for the first time in weeks, not a product of despair but somehow due to Winter's presence, alive and smiling.

Even if Winter was the worst, she was here. And Karina could breathe again.

Giselle entered the hospital room very early in the morning, crossing her arms tightly, her face still shadowed with frustration from the last argument. She stood near the door, silently observing as Ningning pokes Winter's cheek with a playful smile while sitting on Winter's bed.

Winter cast a warning glare at Ningning, raising her eyes to heaven. "Do you mind?"

But Ningning just grinned further, not caring at all about the shine.

"Just checking if you're really awake, you know. Making sure you're not some ghost or something."

Winter groaned, but the smile was there, undeniable as she waved her hand dismissively to Ningning. Karina just kept sitting way off on the side, watching this playful banter, a soft smile pulling at her lips.

But in the deepest part of her, she knew there was unfinished business-especially with Giselle.

A glimpse through the doorway to where Giselle stood made Karina's smile recess, though it was still plastered on her face. She had to decide that it was time. She needed to tell Giselle, fix what had been broken between them.

"Giselle," Karina said softly, walking over. "Can we talk?"

Giselle met her eyes, then sighed, uncrossing her arms. Without a word she turned to walk out of the room. Karina followed her, her heart heavy but set. They stood at the staircase and cool morning air filtered in through the nearby window; the moment was given a strange calmness.

Tension filled the stairs between them as Karina and Giselle stood there. Karina inhaled; the burden of everything still lay upon her.

"I'm really sorry, Giselle," she started softly yet firmness streamed into her voice.

"I got lost in all things inside my head about everything that was going on; I just couldn't think. But I can see that you were only trying to look out for me."

Giselle crossed her arms but eased the tension in her posture a little.

"It wasn't just about that, Karina. You have finals coming up. Mrs. Yu is worried sick at home. You're in your final year-your future's on the line. What's your plan now that Winter's awake?"

Karina turned her head, took a deep breath, and kept her mouth closed.

"I- I don't know. I feel like I've been drowning. I'm scared that if I don't stay with her, something will happen again. I just can't leave her."

There was an age-long silence. Giselle's face softened more as she gazed at her best friend; the cracks in Karina's normally composed exterior were clearly visible now. She let out a deep sigh and lowered her arms.

"Me too," Giselle said, her voice softer.

"I didn't mean to say all those things back there. I was just scared. Of everything. Of Winter, yes, but mostly of you. You've been through so much."

Karina nodded, still in gratitude for the comprehension.

"I know. And I get it now. I'll think about what to do next. Maybe. Maybe I need to find some balance between Winter and me."

Giselle took a step forward, a small reassuring smile toward Karina.

"Just remember you're not alone, okay? We'll figure it out together. And Winter needs you, but you need to take care of yourself too."

Karina weakly smiled at Giselle, feeling a little lighter. "Thanks, Giselle."

"Anytime," said Giselle turning and heading for the room. "Let's go see if Ningning hasn't driven Winter insane."

Karina smiled, nodding as they continued walking back. Discussion would still continue, but at least, for now, there is that.

 Discussion would still continue, but at least, for now, there is that