Dates of Marriage

I woke up early, buzzing with excitement

I woke up early, buzzing with excitement. It was the first day of fest preparations, and I’m telling you, fests are life! There’s nothing better than the chaos, music, and all the madness. But, there’s always a catch—this year, we have to perform a couple’s dance, and guess what? Each student has to partner with a teacher or student. Mera partner kaun hoga? Bhagwaan jaane.

Anaya and I rushed to get ready. The panic was real. Breakfast was chaos, as always. Anaya’s mom, being her adorable self, fussed over us like we were about to run a marathon.

"Beta, araam se khao, atak jayega!" she said, watching me shovel food into my mouth like I hadn’t eaten in days.

I waved her off, mid-bite. "Aunty, late ho raha hai! Atka bhi toh fest mein hi nikaalenge!" I quickly kissed her cheek, grabbed Anaya, and bolted.

Sitting in the car, I got hit by last night’s flashback—Shaurya sir. He had helped me to Anaya’s room, and for a moment, it was like everything slowed down. We just… stared at each other. Kyun, Anika, kyun? He’s your professor and, to top it off, going to be your jiju! Aur upar se khadoos bhi. But, like, why does my heart race whenever he’s near? Gosh, Anika, you need help. Big-time.

Author’s POV:

Anika and Anaya reached college and made a beeline for the auditorium, laughing about the latest Instgram trend. Out of nowhere, a tall, nervous boy appeared in front of them.

“Hi, Anika,” Karan said, flashing a nervous smile, trying his best to look confident but failing miserably.

Anika gave him a once-over, her eyebrow raised. Oh, it’s Karan… the guy who thinks he’s Shah Rukh, but is more like Johny lever.

"Hi, Karan," she replied, half-heartedly, her face clearly saying, yawn.

Anaya, trying to hold back a laugh, whispered, “Yeh phir aa gaya, kya?”

Anika smirked, “Lagta hai Harry Met Sejal ka audition dene aya hai.”

Karan, oblivious to the roasting, tried to act cool. “Umm… I was wondering if you’d be my partner for the couple’s dance at the fest?”

Anika paused, looked him up and down, then at Anaya, who burst into giggles. After a dramatic sigh, Anika said, “yaar Karan, tumhare saath dance karke mujhe apni izzat ki band  nahi bajaani”

Karan, completely confused, scratched his head. “Uh… I’m a good dancer, though.”

Anaya couldn't hold it anymore and cracked up. “Haan, haan,  hip-hop toh sabko yaad hai—last fest mein ladkiyaan bhaag gayi thi.”

But Anika, feeling a little bad for him, finally agreed. “Fine, Karan, fine. Tum winner ho aur mujhe partner ki zarurat hai. Win-win situation, no?”

Relieved, Karan grinned ear to ear. With the awkward tension finally diffused, the trio made their way to the fest registration booth in auditorium.

As they approached the booth, Anika spotted her sister, Kritika, who was busy talking to Ms. Sunita. Kritika noticed Anika and immediately pulled her aside with an excited look on her face.