Engagement

I went back to the mall to inform Kritika’s mom that Anika was safe at home

I went back to the mall to inform Kritika’s mom that Anika was safe at home. Anika had specifically told me not to tell anyone about her being locked in the room, and while I wasn’t sure what was going on in their family, I decided to respect her wishes. As I approached my family and Kritika's family, I handed her mom the box and told her, "Anika is at home, sleeping with Anaya. Don't worry about her."

Just then, I noticed Kritika yelling at a saleswoman. I walked over to see what the commotion was about. Apparently, the saleswoman had shown her heels that were one size too small, causing a cut on Kritika’s toes. She was shouting, "Don't you have any brain or what?" The poor saleswoman was apologizing, "Sorry, ma'am, I'm really sorry," but Kritika was about to slap her. I quickly intervened, stopping her hand. "Bas karo, Kritika. She said sorry. Stop acting weird, and let's finish this fast. I have other stuff to do."

Kritika nodded but held my hand, and I felt a wave of anger wash over me. I controlled it. After two more hours of endless shopping, we were finally done. As everyone got into the car to head home, Kritika gave me a smile and said, "I love you, Shaurya," before kissing me on the cheek without my permission. I didn’t respond, just said, "Goodbye," and walked off.

I drove home alone, frustrated because my mom had sent me with Kritika for some 'couple time.' What the hell? I thought to myself. I don't want to spend time with her, she's getting too clingy. My driving became harsher as my irritation grew. When I reached home, I went straight to my room, washed my face twice, trying to clear my head, and then changed into more comfortable clothes. Dinner with the family was uneventful, just some casual chit-chat.

Later, I went to my balcony, my thoughts drifting back to Anika. Why didn’t she want me to tell anyone about her being locked in the room? I couldn’t stop thinking about everything that had happened between us. How she hugged me so tightly, and without realizing it, a small smile crept onto my face. From hating her to actually liking her, I thought. But then, I quickly snapped out of it. She’s my student... and my to be wife’s sister.

I sighed, trying to push the thoughts away, and eventually, exhaustion took over. I went to bed, though my mind was still racing with thoughts of Anika, Kritika, and everything in between.

 I went to bed, though my mind was still racing with thoughts of Anika, Kritika, and everything in between